What dominates the high-freq. behavior of a CS-amplifier?

• Thread starter mulothecook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, the conversation discusses the small-signal behavior of a common source amplifier with active load and the question of which capacitances in the circuit cause a decrease in gain for high frequencies. The use of CADENCE and the lack of familiarity with specific models is mentioned. The focus is on identifying the capacitances that dominate the high-frequency behavior and limit the bandwidth, disregarding any external load. The circuit shown includes a drain to gate "miller" capacitance and a "cascode" connection is used to isolate the driven gate from the output voltage on the drain.
mulothecook
Hello there.
I am taking a closer look at the small-signal behavior of a common source amplifier with active load (see image) and I wonder which capacitances cause the decrease in gain for high frequencies (beyond 106 Hz). I do not know about the magnitudes of the input and output capacitances of the transistors, so it's hard for me to do estimates of any kind. CADENCE doesn't tell me anything either and I am not familiar with the exact models that are being used.

So my question is: Which capacitances in the circuit shown dominate the high-frequency behaviour and are thus responsible for the limited bandwidth (disregarding any external load for now)?

Circuit: (The capacitor 'C' and the resistor 'R' are used to guarantee proper biasing. As far as I understand they can be disregarded since their values are very large (or can they?))
?temp_hash=2f7b99912ad366e00841ed0014e87d87.png

Small signal ac-behavior of the output voltage:
?temp_hash=2f7b99912ad366e00841ed0014e87d87.png

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• upload.png
    upload.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 428
  • upload2.PNG
    upload2.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 535
Engineering news on Phys.org
The drain to gate “miller” capacitance is usually the limiting factor for voltage output amplifiers.

A “cascode” connection is used to isolate the driven gate from the output voltage on the drain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascode

Likes mulothecook

1. What is a CS amplifier?

A common source (CS) amplifier is a type of circuit used in electronic devices to amplify an input signal. It is made up of a transistor, resistors, and capacitors and is often used in audio amplifiers and other electronic equipment.

2. How does a CS amplifier work?

A CS amplifier works by using a transistor to amplify the input signal. The transistor acts like a switch, allowing current to flow from the source to the drain when a voltage is applied to the gate. This amplified output signal is then sent to the load (e.g. a speaker) for further processing.

3. What is the high-frequency behavior of a CS amplifier?

The high-frequency behavior of a CS amplifier refers to how the amplifier responds to input signals with high frequencies. This is often characterized by the frequency response curve, which shows the gain of the amplifier at different frequencies.

4. What dominates the high-frequency behavior of a CS amplifier?

The high-frequency behavior of a CS amplifier is mainly dominated by the parasitic capacitances in the circuit. These include the capacitances between the gate and source, drain and source, and the capacitance between the transistor and the substrate.

5. How can the high-frequency behavior of a CS amplifier be improved?

To improve the high-frequency behavior of a CS amplifier, measures can be taken to reduce the parasitic capacitances in the circuit. This can be achieved by using smaller transistors, reducing the length of the interconnects, and using isolation techniques such as guard rings and shielding.