What Equations to use for this Thermofluids Problem?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Mason98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermofluids
In summary: No, to calculate A you need to use the cross-sectional area of the pipe. To find the pipe friction factor i was going to divide 64/ reynolds number.This is incorrect. What is the cross sectional area of the pipe? What is the correct velocity?
Mason98
Homework Statement
Homework help please, just need the equations to use
Relevant Equations
Unsure
Hi guys,
I have been searching the internet trying to find the right equations to use for this homework but i cannot find them :(.
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction and let me know which equations i need to use to work out my homework.
Any help would be appreciated. I am set different values for each (h,x,D,e/D,Q) etc.

So far I have worked out the length of the pipe by using Pythagoras theorem (600^2 + 2000^2 = sqrrt 2088). For Part B I have tried to use the formula Q = AV, Re-arranged to V = Q/A so i can find out the velocity. I have plugged in 0.01m^3/s / 0.3 m = 0.033 M/S^2 ?
I was then going to use the values i have from the equations to find reynolds number Re = ρVL / μ
p being = 1000kg/m^2 x (V) 0.033 x (L) 2088 / 0.0013.
To find the pipe friction factor i was going to divide 64/ reynolds number.
I'm not too sure quite confused will appreciate any help.
1584973289238.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mason98 said:
Homework Statement:: Homework help please, just need the equations to use
Relevant Equations:: Unsure

Hi guys,
I have been searching the internet trying to find the right equations to use for this homework but i cannot find them :(.
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction and let me know which equations i need to use to work out my homework in (a,b,c,d).
Any help would be appreciated. I am set different values for each (h,x,D,e/D,Q) etc.
View attachment 259169
Cmon. You must have some idea how to do this. What are your thoughts so far? For part (a), what equation from HS geometry class can you use?

For part (b), what is the definition of the Reynolds number for pipe flow?

I have edited in my steps i have done so far.
Thanks

Last edited:
Mason98 said:
Homework Statement:: Homework help please, just need the equations to use
Relevant Equations:: Unsure

Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction and let me know which equations i need to use to work out my homework.

So far I have worked out the length of the pipe by using Pythagoras theorem (600^2 + 2000^2 = sqrrt 2088).
Where did these numbers come from? They don't seem to correspond to any of the cases in your table. Which case do you think you are considering? Plus,, please give the result for the square root.
For Part B I have tried to use the formula Q = AV, Re-arranged to V = Q/A so i can find out the velocity. I have plugged in 0.01m^3/s / 0.3 m = 0.033 M/S^2 ?
This is incorrect. What is the cross sectional area of the pipe? What is the correct velocity?
I was then going to use the values i have from the equations to find reynolds number Re = ρVL / μ
p being = 1000kg/m^2 x (V) 0.033 x (L) 2088 / 0.0013.
This is also done incorrectly. For pipe flow, the characteristic dimension is the diameter D of the pipe, not the length.
To find the pipe friction factor i was going to divide 64/ reynolds number.
I'm not too sure quite confused will appreciate any help.
If the flow is turbulent (based on the Reynolds number), then you should be using the Darcy-Weissbach correlation to get the friction factor. 64/Re applies only to laminar flow.

Chestermiller said:
Where did these numbers come from? They don't seem to correspond to any of the cases in your table. Which case do you think you are considering? Plus,, please give the result for the square root.

This is incorrect. What is the cross sectional area of the pipe? What is the correct velocity?

This is also done incorrectly. For pipe flow, the characteristic dimension is the diameter D of the pipe, not the length.

If the flow is turbulent (based on the Reynolds number), then you should be using the Darcy-Weissbach correlation to get the friction factor. 64/Re applies only to laminar flow.
Forget the table sorry these are my figures.• Height h: 600m

• Distance x: 2 km

• Pipe diameter D: 0.3m

• Pipe relative roughness ε/D: 0.002

• Volumetric flow rate Q: 0.01

• The pressure in the pipe just before it enters the reservoir, p2, is 3 bar.

• μ = 0.0013 kg/m.s

• ρ = 1000 kg/m3

for the pythagoras i did (h) 600^2 + (x) 2000^2 = 4360000. Square root of that is 2088m.

So to calculate the velocity of the water i need to do V = Q/A?
But to calculate A i need to use the pipe diameter and multiply by pi to get the cross sectional area?

Look up the equation between the diameter and area of a circle.

Likes Mason98
Hey I have calculated the water velocity to be V = Q/A A = 3.414 x 0.3 = 0.942 Q = 0.01 / 0.9424 = 0.0106 m/s.
I have then plugged this value into the reynolds equation: p (fluid density) = 1000kg ( velocity ) = 0.0106 Diameter = 0.3m . dynamic viscosity = μ = 0.0013

(1000 x 0.0106 x 0.3) / 0.0013 = 2446.1 so this is transient flow?
Thanks

Mason98 said:
Hey I have calculated the water velocity to be V = Q/A A = 3.414 x 0.3 = 0.942 Q = 0.01 / 0.9424 = 0.0106 m/s.
I have then plugged this value into the reynolds equation: p (fluid density) = 1000kg ( velocity ) = 0.0106 Diameter = 0.3m . dynamic viscosity = μ = 0.0013

(1000 x 0.0106 x 0.3) / 0.0013 = 2446.1 so this is transient flow?
Thanks
The area of a circle is ##\pi r^2##, with pi equal to 3.142

okay so 3.142 x 0.15 ^ 2 = 0.0706 m/s
Then 1000 x 0.0706 x 0.3 / 0.0013 = 16312?
Thanks for replying i appreciate the help.

Mason98 said:
okay so 3.142 x 0.15 ^ 2 = 0.0706 m/s
That is A in m^2, not v.

v = Q/A

Chestermiller said:
That is A in m^2, not v.

v = Q/A
Oh haha thank you :), so V = 0.01 / 0.0706 = 0.141643 m/s.

reynolds = 1000 x 0.141643 x 0.3 / 0.0013 = 32,686 ?

Mason98 said:
Oh haha thank you :), so V = 0.01 / 0.0706 = 0.141643 m/s.

reynolds = 1000 x 0.141643 x 0.3 / 0.0013 = 32,686 ?
Good. Based on this value of the Reynolds number, is the flow laminar, or is it turbulent?

Turbulent i believe, i'll have a look at the Darcy-Weissbach correlation to get the friction factor.
Thank you for ur help :)

Chestermiller said:
Good. Based on this value of the Reynolds number, is the flow laminar, or is it turbulent?
Hello,
I've managed to work out the friction using Darcy-Weissbach, how do i go about working out the pressure in p1? can i use p=pgh? or is it not that simple? not sure if i need to use Bernoulli equation or not. would appreciate any tips

Mason98 said:
Hello,
I've managed to work out the friction using Darcy-Weissbach, how do i go about working out the pressure in p1? can i use p=pgh? or is it not that simple? not sure if i need to use Bernoulli equation or not. would appreciate any tips
Tip: Use the version of the Bernoulli equation that includes frictional drag term.

Likes Mason98

1. What is the difference between the energy equation and the mass balance equation?

The energy equation and the mass balance equation are both important equations in thermofluid problems, but they serve different purposes. The energy equation, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, is used to calculate the energy transfer in a system. It takes into account heat transfer, work done, and changes in internal energy. On the other hand, the mass balance equation is used to determine the mass flow rate in a system. It takes into account the inflow and outflow of mass, as well as any accumulation or depletion of mass within the system.

2. How do I determine which equation to use for a specific thermofluid problem?

The specific equations to use for a thermofluid problem will depend on the specific variables and conditions given in the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and identify the known and unknown variables. From there, you can determine which equations are necessary to solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to consult with a thermodynamics textbook or reference guide for a list of commonly used equations.

3. Can I use the ideal gas law for all thermofluid problems?

The ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related, is a commonly used equation in thermodynamics. However, it is only applicable for ideal gases, which follow certain assumptions such as having no intermolecular forces and occupying negligible volume. In real-world thermofluid problems, the ideal gas law may not accurately represent the behavior of the gas, and other equations, such as the compressibility factor equation, may need to be used.

4. What is the difference between steady-state and transient thermofluid problems?

Steady-state thermofluid problems refer to systems where the conditions do not change over time. In other words, the temperature, pressure, and other variables remain constant. These problems can be solved using equilibrium equations, such as the energy equation. On the other hand, transient thermofluid problems involve changes in conditions over time. These problems require the use of time-dependent equations, such as the unsteady energy equation, to account for the changing conditions.

5. Are there any universal equations that can be used for all thermofluid problems?

While there are many equations that are commonly used in thermofluid problems, there is no single universal equation that can be applied to all problems. Each problem is unique and may require a combination of equations to solve for the desired variables. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the appropriate equations for the specific conditions given.