What factors contribute to higher salaries for top students after graduation?

• Thread starter dr_nic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, graduate salaries do not necessarily differ based on university grades or other academic achievements. Companies typically focus on qualifications and job performance when determining salary. Having an above average academic history may be beneficial when negotiating salary, but it is not a guarantee. It is also important to have other qualities such as general intellectual ability and conscientiousness to increase compensation. Ultimately, employers want individuals who are knowledgeable and hardworking.
dr_nic
I'm finding it quite hard to figure out how graduate salaries differ with university grades or other similar university level achievements. All the surveys of graduate salaries seem to just give an average salary.
For some context I'm studying 2nd yr Mechtranics/Physics combined degree in Aus and wish to work in engineering for a bit (money of course :-p) after I graduate. The companies with graduate programs don't seem to distinguish between students as long as they get into the program.
I'm not the best student at uni but I am near the top and I will/have participated in extra research and that kind of thing.

Can anyone help out as to whether salaries/conditions change for better graduates and in what conditions?

The reason I want to figure this out is that I'm considering a defence force sponsorship scheme which is really attractive and offers around AU$75,000 p.a. on graduation. This is a bit higher than the average graduate salary but I have to commit to it within a year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most companies don't differentiate salary based on academic performance. They care about whether or not you're qualified to do the job they have, and how well you will do it. There isn't necessarily a correlation between marks and job performance.

If you have an above average academic history, you can use that to your advantage when negotiating salary, benefits etc. Just be prepared to answer questions like this:
"You don't have any experience. Why should I pay you any more than anyone else just out of school?"

Choppy said:
Most companies don't differentiate salary based on academic performance. They care about whether or not you're qualified to do the job they have, and how well you will do it. There isn't necessarily a correlation between marks and job performance.

If you have an above average academic history, you can use that to your advantage when negotiating salary, benefits etc. Just be prepared to answer questions like this:
"You don't have any experience. Why should I pay you any more than anyone else just out of school?"

Right. Companies most often have standard set salaries for new hires depending on the position. Either you get the job or you don't, and the salary isn't usually up for debate. As for where that specific salary falls on the scale... I couldn't tell you. Move to the US and I can give some better advice :smile:.

Your performance and other traits determine whether you get the offer and not so much what your offer will be. Of course, some offers are more desirable than others.

I do not know of any companies that care what your class ranking is, although I suppose it is possible. That being said, the qualities that contribute to being near the top of one's class will also tend to contribute to being paid more over time. General intellectual ability and conscientiousness are both useful traits for getting good marks and increasing your compensation.

Simply put, employers want you to know your stuff *and* to be hard worker. Thus, one sees a correlation between these two things and rates of pay within career fields, but not necessarily between marks and rates of pay, because there are other things that go into marks that do not necessarily apply to the world of work, and vice versa.

Related to What factors contribute to higher salaries for top students after graduation?

What are the qualities of a top student after graduation?

A top student after graduation is highly motivated and driven, has excellent time management skills, is able to think critically and creatively, and is a continuous learner. They also possess strong communication and problem-solving skills.

How do top students after graduation stand out from their peers?

Top students after graduation stand out from their peers by consistently achieving high grades, actively participating in extracurricular activities, taking on leadership roles, and having a well-rounded set of skills and experiences.

What opportunities are available for top students after graduation?

Top students after graduation have a wide range of opportunities available to them, including internships, graduate programs, scholarships, and job offers from top companies. They may also have the chance to work on exciting research projects and collaborate with renowned professionals in their field.

What challenges do top students face after graduation?

Top students after graduation may face challenges such as finding a job that aligns with their career goals, managing their finances, and adapting to a new environment. They may also feel pressure to maintain their high academic performance and balance their personal and professional lives.

How can I become a top student after graduation?

To become a top student after graduation, you should set clear goals, prioritize your time effectively, seek out opportunities for growth and development, and continuously challenge yourself. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and seek support from mentors and peers.