What force does the scale display in Newtons?

In summary, Jasmine has a mass of 7 kg and is standing on a scale in an elevator accelerating downward at 4.9 m/sec^2. According to Newton's second law, the scale will display a force of approximately 34.3 Newtons, which is the SI unit for force.
dreamgirl
Jasmine has a mass of 7 kg. He stands on a scale in an elevator that is accelerating downward at 4.9 m/sec ^2 . What force does the scale display in Newtons?Thank you for your help! :]

F = ma
i get 34.3

what is the unit i attach it to?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

dreamgirl said:
Jasmine has a mass of 7 kg. He stands on a scale in an elevator that is accelerating downward at 4.9 m/sec ^2 . What force does the scale display in Newtons?

Hi dreamgirl! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(please use the homework forum in future :wink:)

Use good ol' Newton's second law … F = ma …

what is the acceleration? and what is the force(s)?

Thanks for the welcome! :]

another question:
when i get it, is the number automatically in Newtons?

i get 34.3

what is the unit i attach it to?

SI units

dreamgirl said:
… when i get it, is the number automatically in Newtons? …

Hi dreamgirl! :smile:

Yes … so long as all your inputs are in SI units, the output will be in SI units also.

The inputs are kg and m and s, so the output will be in the SI unit of force, the Newton (small n, btw, like watt and joule … it's only a capital N for the symbol, like W and J :wink:).

Related to What force does the scale display in Newtons?

1. What is the definition of a Newton?

A Newton is the unit of measurement for force in the International System of Units (SI). It is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

2. How does a scale display force in Newtons?

A scale displays force in Newtons by measuring the amount of gravitational force exerted on an object, which is then converted into a numerical value in Newtons and displayed on the scale's screen.

3. Is there a difference between weight and force in Newtons?

Yes, there is a difference between weight and force in Newtons. Weight is the measurement of the gravitational force exerted on an object by a celestial body, such as the Earth. Force in Newtons, on the other hand, is a general measurement of any type of force, including weight.

4. How do you convert pounds or kilograms to Newtons?

To convert pounds to Newtons, you can use the equation F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. To convert kilograms to Newtons, you can simply multiply the mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. Can a scale display force in units other than Newtons?

Yes, a scale can display force in units other than Newtons. Some scales have the option to display force in other units, such as pounds or kilograms. However, it is important to note that these units may not be as precise as Newtons, which is the standard unit of measurement for force in the SI system.