What forces are acting on bar BC in a gear wheel assembly?

• Thread starter izzyosman
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a right-angled carrier with gear wheels B and D mounted on it, meshing with a fixed gear wheel A. The small wheels have a mass of 3kg and a radius of 100mm, while the carrier has a total mass of 6kg and two uniform rods of length 300mm. The assembly is released from rest with B above O and the question is to find the angular velocity of the small wheels when D reaches a point directly below O. The equations used in the attempt at a solution are the rotational and translation impulse-momentum equations, but there is uncertainty about the forces acting on bar BC and what to include in the equation for work done. A diagram is provided for reference.
izzyosman

Homework Statement

Gear wheels B and D are mounted on a right-angled carrier, C.
They mesh with a fixed gear wheel A, of radius 200mm. Each of the small wheels has a mass of 3kg and a radius of 100mm and may be considered to be a uniform circular disc. The carrier, which is freely pivoted about O, has a total mass of 6kg and may be considered as two uniform rods, each of legnth, 300mm.

The assembly is released from rest with the centre of B vertically above O. Find the angular velocity of the small wheels when the centre of D just reaches the point vertically below O.

http://twitpic.com/mpa24

Homework Equations

Rotational and Translation Impulse-Momentum Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just starting to attempt this question by looking at the bars separately. In the case of bar BC, I am not quite sure what force are acting on the bar apart from its weight.
Is there a force exerted by the gear B?

This leads me to wonder what to put in the equation:
work done=change in ke for the rotational component.

I know the right hand side would be 1/2 I(Theta dot2^2 - 0)

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
come on guys! nobody ever replies to my questions..

You state each object in terms of "A,B,C,..." You may have a better chance if you provide a diagram for your question.

if you right click on the box under what i typed it will go to a twitpic page with the diagram.

1. What is impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are two related concepts in physics. Impulse is the change in momentum of an object, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are related by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied on an object is equal to the change in momentum over time. In other words, impulse is equal to the change in momentum.

3. What factors affect an object's impulse and momentum?

The factors that affect an object's impulse and momentum include the mass, velocity, and force applied on the object. A larger mass or velocity will result in a larger momentum, while a larger force will result in a larger impulse and change in momentum.

4. How is impulse and momentum used in real-life situations?

Impulse and momentum are used in many real-life situations, such as car crashes, sports, and rocket launches. In car crashes, the impulse and momentum of the vehicles play a crucial role in determining the severity of the collision. In sports, the momentum of objects like balls and players can affect the outcome of a game. In rocket launches, the impulse provided by the engines is necessary to overcome the object's inertia and lift it off the ground.

5. What is the equation for calculating impulse and momentum?

The equation for calculating impulse is J = F * Δt, where J is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied. The equation for calculating momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. These equations can be used to solve problems involving impulse and momentum in various scenarios.