What formula would i use this for this HW problem? (Aircraft carrier jet launch)

In summary, this conversation is about an introductory physics class for non-math majors discussing the take-off speed and distance of a jet fighter launched from an aircraft carrier. The question is then raised about the jet's acceleration in meters per second and how long it takes to launch the jet. The conversation also addresses the use of dimensional analysis and the importance of using consistent units.
Young Bull
New user has been reminded to use the Template when posting schoolwork problems
*This is an introductory physics class for non-math majors.

A typical jet fighter launched from an aircraft carrier reaches a take-off speed of 175mph over a distance of 310 ft.
  1. assuming the acceleration is constant, what is the jet's acceleration in (meters per second)?
2) how long does i take to launch the jet?
For number 1, i just covert mph to m/s right? (i'm aware it doesn't say m/s^2 - might be a mistake from professor) I just used dimensional analysis
310 ft= 94.88 meters. And number 2, is that simply D=RT? 94.88=78.28T? solve for t?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Young Bull said:
what is the jet's acceleration in (meters per second)?
Acceleration has units of m/s^2, not m/s. Is that a typo, or does your question say exactly that?

Also, it's best to start with the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration. Can you list what they are?

Given acceleration a, v(t) = ? and x(t) = ?

Likes CWatters
Why convert any thing to SI units? The problem data is all in US Customary units; keep it there. If necessary, convert the final result to SI if the problem actually states SI units for the result.

mph stands for miles per hour, not meters per hour.

Please list the SUVAT equations you are familiar with.

1. What is the formula for calculating the launch speed of an aircraft carrier jet?

The formula for calculating the launch speed of an aircraft carrier jet is V = √(2gh), where V is the launch speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the aircraft carrier's catapult.

2. How do I calculate the launch angle for an aircraft carrier jet?

The formula for calculating the launch angle of an aircraft carrier jet is θ = tan⁻¹(V₀/√(2gh)), where θ is the launch angle, V₀ is the initial launch speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the aircraft carrier's catapult.

3. What is the difference between launch speed and launch velocity for an aircraft carrier jet?

Launch speed refers to the magnitude of the jet's initial velocity, while launch velocity includes both the magnitude and direction of the jet's initial velocity. In other words, launch velocity takes into account the launch angle of the jet.

4. How does the weight of the aircraft carrier jet affect the launch speed?

The weight of the aircraft carrier jet does not have a direct effect on the launch speed. However, a heavier jet may require a longer catapult or a higher launch angle in order to achieve the desired launch speed.

5. Can the launch speed of an aircraft carrier jet be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind speed and direction, air temperature, and humidity can affect the launch speed of an aircraft carrier jet. These factors can impact the air density and resistance, which in turn can affect the jet's acceleration and ultimately its launch speed.