What fraction of its energy does accelerating proton shed?

In summary, the problem involves a proton with a kinetic energy of 6 MeV traveling in a circular orbit in a particle accelerator. The question asks for the fraction of energy it radiates per second. Using the Larmor formula, the calculated value is 6.55*10^-39 J/s, but this assumes a constant velocity and does not take into account the given radius. The key to solving the problem is to use the standard formula for acceleration in circular motion.
Ahlibaba

Homework Statement

If a proton with a kinetic energy of 6 MeV is traveling in a particle accelerator in a circular orbit of radius 0.75m, what fraction of its energy does it radiate per second?

m = 1.67 * 10^-27
epsilon_0 = 8.854 * 10^-12
c = 3 * 10^8

Homework Equations

dE/dt = (q^2 a^2) / (6*π*Epsilon_0 *c^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

E_kin = 6*1.6*10^-19*10^6 J

calculation of velocity by means of E_kin = 0.5 * m * v^2
v = 0.3397*10^8 ms^-1
v = distance/time
a = derivative of v = -d/v^2

using the equation (Larmor formula) above I calculated 6.55*10^-39 J/s that are radiated.
What bugs me, is that I didn't use the given radius and I pretty sure I'm supposed to use it but I don't know how
I'd really appreciate your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahlibaba said:
v = distance/time
a = derivative of v = -d/v^2
The first formula assumes a constant velocity, which is equivalent to zero acceleration. That is not the situation you have here.
I don't understand how you got -d/v2 in the second line, and how you plugged in a value for the distance then.

Anyway, you have circular motion, there is a standard formula for the acceleration in circular motion.
The radius is important.

1. What is the concept of accelerating proton shedding?

The concept of accelerating proton shedding refers to the process by which a proton, a positively charged subatomic particle, loses energy as it accelerates in a magnetic field. This phenomenon is observed in particle accelerators where protons are accelerated to high speeds for various experiments.

2. How does accelerating proton shedding affect the energy of the proton?

Accelerating proton shedding results in the loss of energy from the proton. This energy loss is due to the protons emitting photons, which carry away a portion of the proton's energy. The more the proton is accelerated, the more energy it sheds.

3. What fraction of its energy does an accelerating proton shed?

The fraction of energy that an accelerating proton sheds depends on several factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the proton, and the distance it travels. Generally, it is estimated that protons lose between 1-2% of their energy for every meter traveled in a typical particle accelerator.

4. Can the energy lost from accelerating proton shedding be recovered?

No, the energy lost from accelerating proton shedding cannot be recovered. This energy is converted into photons, which are emitted from the proton and cannot be recaptured. However, in some cases, scientists may use techniques to minimize the energy loss and increase the efficiency of the particle accelerator.

5. How does accelerating proton shedding impact particle accelerator experiments?

The loss of energy from accelerating proton shedding can affect the outcome of particle accelerator experiments. It can alter the trajectory of the protons, leading to inaccurate results. Therefore, scientists must account for this energy loss and adjust their experiments accordingly to ensure accurate data collection.