What happens if the observer dies?

• B
  • Thread starter Nektar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary, the wave function collapse that is often seen when an observer is present is due to the interference effects between alternatives that would be seen if there was no observer present.
Nektar
Basic double slit experiment one observer knows the path of the particle. The back screen is a locked room and has never been seen. The observer dies and I decide to look at the screen. What will I see?
I'm assuming the wave will still be collapsed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nektar said:
Basic double slit experiment one observer knows the path of the particle. The back screen is a locked room and has never been seen. The observer dies and I decide to look at the screen. What will I see?
You are making the pop-sci mistake of thinking that a conscious observer is required. If there is a setup that would allow a conscious observer to know the path then it matters not at all whether there actually IS a conscious observer.

Nektar said:
If by "the wave collapsed", you mean that there will be no interference pattern at the screen then the answer is "yes, of course". As soon as the detector found the particle, there wasn't going to be an interference pattern; it is completely irrelevant whether anyone looked at the detector output, and even more irrelevant whether that person is still alive.

The idea that conscious observers have anything to do with quantum mechanics dates back to the early days (almost a hundred years ago) when the theory was less well understood. Back then the idea seemed to solve a serious problem with the theory, but it was pretty much abandoned when we found a more satisfactory solution (David Lindley's book "Where does the weirdness go?" is a good source). Unfortunately, by then the "consciousness causes collapse" idea had leaked into the popular imagination... so to this day you'll find people telling you that it matters whether someone looks at the measurement results.

As this thread is based on a misunderstanding, we can close it now.

Nektar said:

What's important for the appearance of wave function collapse (I use the word "appearance" because there is no consensus that there is any wave function collapse) is what's called entanglement. More specifically, entanglement and irreversibility work together.

What this means is that if some microscopic fact (such as which slit a particle went through) triggers an irreversible change in something other than that particle, then there can be no possibility of the interference effects between alternatives that are the hallmark of quantum mechanics. My observing which way the particle went clearly is an irreversible change; my memories are permanently changed by the observation. Even if I die, details about my brain's memory will be different, due to making that observation. Even if you cremate my body and scatter the ashes onto the ocean, there will be slight differences due to my making the observation. As long as there is a persistent effect due to the microscopic event, there will be no possibility of interference with the other alternatives. This lack of interference is what gives the appearance of wave function collapse (regardless of whether that really happens, or not).

Likes Carrock

Related to What happens if the observer dies?

What happens if the observer dies?

This question is often asked in the context of scientific experiments or observations. The answer depends on the specific situation, but here are five possible questions and answers:

1. What happens to the data collected by the observer?

If the observer was the only one recording the data, then the data may be lost. However, if the experiment or observation was being conducted by a team, then the data may still be accessible and usable.

2. Will the experiment or observation be stopped?

This depends on the circumstances. If the observer's role was critical to the experiment or observation, then it may be necessary to stop or postpone it. However, if the experiment can continue without the observer, then it may continue as planned.

3. How will the absence of the observer affect the results?

Again, this depends on the specific experiment or observation. If the observer's presence was crucial to obtaining accurate results, then the absence may affect the outcome. However, if the data can still be collected and analyzed without the observer, then the results may not be significantly impacted.

4. Can someone else take over as the observer?

In most cases, yes, someone else can take over as the observer. However, it may depend on the level of expertise and training required for the role. If the observer's role was specialized, then it may be challenging to find someone else who can fulfill the role effectively.

5. How will the observer's death affect the overall study or project?

This will depend on the significance of the observer's role in the study or project. If the observer was the lead researcher or had a critical role, then their death may significantly impact the progress of the study or project. However, if their role was more minor, then the impact may be minimal.