What happens to an electron when its used in a closed circuit?

In summary, when an electron is used in a closed circuit, it acts as a carrier of energy rather than a source of energy itself. It moves along the circuit, propelled by the voltage from a voltage source, and can perform work such as lighting a bulb or heating a stove without changing its state. The electrons do not need to traverse the entire circuit to complete it, as they push against each other in a chain reaction. This is similar to how a pump drives a waterwheel, with the water acting as a carrier of energy.
Air39
Please help me to understand what happens to an electron when its used in a closed circuit.

Main Question: How can electrons within a circuit perform work i.e. illuminate a light bulb or heat a stove and not be lost or changed from one state to another? How could it just stay the same and continue on unchanged in the circuit...??

To reiterate ...I will provide a couple examples that have led to my confusion:

a) To generate an electric current you can rotate a conductor i.e. copper within a magnetic field and produce electric current if its a closed loop. - From what i understand the electrons that are flowing are knocked free from the copper wire and simply flow in a circuit because of the difference in potential that has been generated by the magnetic field. However if the electrons are lighting a bulb or heating a stove...how does the "conservation of energy" not apply? how can you generate heat and light without a change in the state of the electron?

b) Photovoltaic panels - Let's say a photon from the sun knocks an electron free from the n type and transfers it to the p type creating a flow in electricity in the panel; then this flow of electrons is then stored in a battery. If the battery is detached from the system and drained, then reattached and charged...have electrons not been removed from the system? The more i ponder this...Perhaps its not the electron itself that is used but just the energy it carries?

What is actually happening to the electrons being used in a circuit? I have read lots of information and many forums on this concept and i can not get a clear answer.

Please no opinions just facts!

Thanks,
Air39

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF I guess. I see you've had bad experience with asking this question elsewhere on the internet, but fret not.

You've pretty much answered your question. Electrons are just carriers of energy, not the source of that energy themselves.

A pump driving a waterwheel is a fair enough analogy as well. In a closed system the water is just going circles, but it is transferring energy from the pump to the waterwheel.

In that sense it works much the same way as heat does. You don't see material flowing from one place to another with the exchange of heat, but it does carry that heat from one place to another.

Electrons in a circuit are like an endless string of railroad cars, each coupled to the next. You push on one and it pushes the next, and that one pushes the next, and so on. So all you have to do is push against one and all along the line each moves on just a little, propelled by the one before it. So no electron needs to traverse the whole path from start to end before you see electricity completing the full circuit. What does the last car push against? It pushes on the first, hence the need for a complete circuit.

What is the force pushing these? It's the voltage from a voltage source of some description, connected somewhere into the circuit.

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply guys. Those answers help clear things up.
Much appreciated! This is a useful blog!

Air39

Air39 said:
Thanks for your quick and helpful reply guys. Those answers help clear things up.
Much appreciated! This is a useful blog!

Air39

Just FYI, this is not a blog. It is a forum.

1. What is the role of an electron in a closed circuit?

The electron is responsible for carrying the electrical charge through the circuit, from the source of energy (such as a battery) to the load (such as a lightbulb).

2. Does the electron lose any of its energy as it travels through the circuit?

Yes, the electron does lose some of its energy as it travels through the circuit. This is because it encounters resistance from the materials in the circuit, which causes it to slow down and release some of its energy as heat.

3. How does the electron return to the source of energy in a closed circuit?

The electron returns to the source of energy by completing a full loop in the circuit. Once it reaches the load, it continues through the rest of the circuit and eventually returns to the source.

4. Can an electron flow in both directions in a closed circuit?

Yes, an electron can flow in both directions in a closed circuit. This is because the circuit is a continuous loop, so the electron can flow from the source to the load and back again.

5. What happens to the electron after it reaches the load in a closed circuit?

After the electron reaches the load, it transfers its energy to the load and then continues through the rest of the circuit. It may lose some of its energy along the way due to resistance, but it will eventually return to the source to be recharged.