What happens to excess energy when an electron gets excited by light?

• B
  • Thread starter Richard2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atomic model
In summary, in the process of an electron in an atom getting excited by incident light and a small amount of excess energy remaining, the leftover energy is either accepted and appears as vibrational heat, or it is broadened and absorbed by the atom. This means there is no leftover energy, and the excess energy may appear as heat or a different photon emission. Additionally, if the incident light is selected to be a narrower band than the intrinsic Heisenberg width of the transition, the emitted photon may not have the same energy and width as the incident photon.
Richard2001
TL;DR Summary
I do not understand what happen when in electron in atom gets excited by incident light and a very small amount of excess energy remains. What happens to this excess energy?
Hello,

I am struggerling with this very basic physics problem. I understand that an electron can get excited if the energy of an incident photon is enough to jump to a higher band. If I understand correctly, this will only use up exactely the required energy. What I do not understand is what happens with the leftover energy, especially, if it is very little.

To make it more concrete: Assume hydrogen is excited from n = 1 to n = 2.
If I understand wikipedia and the Rydberg formula correctly, excited the electron would require around 121.57nm.
What would happen if the incident light was of wavelength 121.56nm?
This would result in a excess energy with wavelength 1/(1/121.56nm - 1/121.57nm) = 1.5mm (if I a not mistaken).

So, would this emit microwaves? Wouldn't a lot of things emit mircowaves and radiowaves in sunlight in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Things get hot when placed in the sunlight, and not only from the IR part of the solar spectrum.

The transition is thermally broadened to accept the available energy. That means there will be no left-over energy, or it will appear as vibrational heat in the chemistry, rather than as another photon.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
Richard2001 said:
TL;DR Summary: I do not understand what happen when in electron in atom gets excited by incident light and a very small amount of excess energy remains. What happens to this excess energy?

What would happen if the incident light was of wavelength 121.56nm?

Another way to think about this is that the energy levels of real atoms are not "perfectly sharp" unless each atom is perfectly isolated. Given any assemblage of matter each atom will see a slightly different environment that is also likely time dependent. Averaging over these variabilities gives a range of possible energies. Also If the hydrogen is a gas the motion can produce Doppler shifts in photon frequencies of absorption.
This is usually formally treated by associating the width of a resonance .

Richard2001 said:
...the electron would require around 121.57nm.
What would happen if the incident light was of wavelength 121.56nm?...
And (correct me if I'm wrong) another possibility here is that - if that energy discrepancy were sufficiently large - that light would bypass the electron - perhaps many - to the point where it can conceivably pass right through the material and out the other side - IWO the material is transparent to that wavelength of light.

Likes hutchphd and Dale
hutchphd said:
Another way to think about this is that the energy levels of real atoms are not "perfectly sharp" unless each atom is perfectly isolated.
Nor are the energy levels perfectly sharp unless the state is longlived. Heisenberg uncertainty.
What happens when there is a small shortfall of energy?
The 1s state is longlived (it is the ground state)
The 2p state is shortlived (unlike the 2s-1s transition which is forbidden making the 2s state longlived).
Suppose that you irradiate atomic hydrogen with incident light which is selected to be a narrower band than the intrinsic Heisenberg width of the 2p-1s transition, and also is slightly redshifted to fall on the shoulder, not the peak of the hydrogen line.
Will the hydrogen be forced to emit light of the same spectrum as incident light (other than the part transmitted) because of conservation of energy?

By supposition you have said that the atom is not in an energy eigenstate. So one does not know precisely the energy of the system light+atom. Energy will be conserved but that does not completely constrain the energy of the emiitted light quantum.

hutchphd said:
By supposition you have said that the atom is not in an energy eigenstate. So one does not know precisely the energy of the system light+atom. Energy will be conserved but that does not completely constrain the energy of the emiitted light quantum.
The atom starts at a long lived, ground state (1s). So we know precisely the energy of atom, and the initial photon.
The absorption forms a shortlived but defined 2p state, whose width exceeds the uncertainty of the initial state.
Now that 2p state exists and eventually decays. To 1p state, whose energy is narrow, and a photon.
Does the reemitted photon have the full width of the intermediate 2p state, or is it constrained to have same energy (and same width) as the initially absorbed photon?

1. What is excess energy in an electron?

Excess energy in an electron refers to the additional energy that is gained when the electron absorbs a photon of light. This energy causes the electron to move to a higher energy state and become excited.

2. How does an electron become excited by light?

When a photon of light with the right amount of energy interacts with an electron, the electron absorbs the energy and becomes excited. This process is known as photoexcitation.

3. What happens to the excess energy in an excited electron?

The excess energy in an excited electron can be released in various ways. It can emit a photon of light and return to its ground state, transfer the energy to another nearby electron, or release the energy as heat.

4. Can excess energy in an electron be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, the excess energy in an excited electron can be harnessed for practical use. For example, in solar cells, the excess energy in excited electrons is used to generate electricity. In fluorescent light bulbs, the excess energy is released as light.

5. What happens if an electron absorbs more energy than it can handle?

If an electron absorbs more energy than it can handle, it can become ionized and break free from its atom. This process is known as ionization and can have harmful effects on living organisms. However, in most cases, the excess energy is released in a controlled manner and does not cause harm.