What Happens When a Laser Hits a Mirror Corner?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical scenario of shining a laser into the intersection of two mirrors with zero width. It is suggested that the laser would reflect off each half of the mirrors. However, it is also noted that this scenario would require perfectly flat mirrors and would ultimately involve quantum mechanics at the molecular level. The conversation ends with the understanding that the outcome would be a probability distribution.
IK0
Question: If you were to theoretically shine a laser into the intersection of two mirrors, what would happen to the reflected beam? When I say 'theoretically' I mean that the beam would hit the corner perfectly.

I'm confused by this because the derivative of a sharp point on a graph is undefined, so it would seem that there would be no real reflective surface angle off of which the beam could reflect.

Also, treat the laser as if it has zero width (essentially, treat it as a line).

This is not a homework question - it's just something I thought up.
~IKnowN0thingEDIT: I thought that this would fit better over in the logic section, so I re-posted it there.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Let's simplify things. I have an infinitely thin laser beam. I shine it at the very edge of the mirror... does it reflect, or does it miss the mirror?

You can't make a laser beam of zero width. As a result each half would reflect off that mirror.

What if you made a single beam of electrons, and, (for sake of the question) they were to hit the corner perfectly? (The uncertainty principle aside...)

Well, for your mirror intersection to also be a perfect geometrical line, they each have to be atomically flat, in which case you don't really have an interface at all. So are you just asking what happens when you hit an atom with an electron head on? If things get to this length scale you need quantum mechanics for a reason.

IK0 said:
I'm confused by this because the derivative of a sharp point...

Derivatives assume continuity. Matter can be considered continuous on a macroscopic scale, but on the molecular scale, we all know it's made of discrete atoms. At this point, you're talking about a single photon interacting with a single atom. This is where you need QM, and the answer will be a probability distribution for the outcome.

Oh I see. :)

Thanks for the help, this was really bugging me.

Related to What Happens When a Laser Hits a Mirror Corner?

1. What happens when a laser hits a mirror corner?

When a laser hits a mirror corner, it undergoes reflection. This means that the laser beam bounces off the mirror at an angle that is equal to the angle at which it hit the mirror.

2. Why does a laser beam reflect off a mirror corner?

The smooth surface of the mirror reflects the light of the laser beam. When the laser beam hits the mirror, it causes the electrons in the atoms of the mirror's surface to vibrate, which then produces a reflected beam of light.

3. Does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection when a laser hits a mirror corner?

Yes, according to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence (the angle at which the laser beam hits the mirror) is always equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the laser beam bounces off the mirror).

4. Can a laser beam pass through a mirror corner?

No, a laser beam cannot pass through a mirror corner. Mirrors are made of materials that are highly reflective, which means that they do not allow any light to pass through them.

5. How does the size of the mirror corner affect the reflection of a laser beam?

The size of the mirror corner does not affect the reflection of a laser beam. As long as the mirror corner is smooth and reflective, the laser beam will reflect off it at an angle equal to the angle of incidence.