What happens when monochromatic light travels for eternity?

• Thread starter jimmylegss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a light beam spreading out in space and eventually ceasing to exist due to a finite amount of energy and the possibility of the universe dying a heat death. There is also a mention of the time dimension and the idea that something can cease to exist if it can no longer be measured or interact with anything else. The conversation ends with a discussion on the uncertainty principle and the role of existence in the context of interaction and measurement.
jimmylegss
So I shoot a light beam out in space of monochromatic light, it would spread out right? So over time it should spread out over a infinite distance? If we assume the universe is finite? And since the light beam has a finite amount of energy, that means it will be reduced to zero.

If this is so, and the universe dies a heat death, it would take an infinite amount of time for this to happen? Which means it will not happen? Because you would then be able to pinpoint the exact time on this infinity scale. And that is impossible. Because that would make it a finite amount of time again.

In other words really, the conclusion is, if you spread a finite thing out over an infinite space, it will stop existing. But it will take an infinite amount of time, so therefore it cannot happen. Because you will never reach that point. So something about the time dimension coming before the other dimensions?

Like counting from two to three in exponentially smaller steps. You never reach three, so as far as the counter is concerned three does not exist.

How do Planck lengths come into this? Since there seem to be minimum amounts in our universe that something can exist. So is there a minimum wave length or amplitude? Once it would go beyond that, it technically no longer exists?

Is there some implication that if a lightbeam would travel into infinite emptiness, it will never reach a destination? If it will never be measured again, or interact, does it even exist anymore? What about the uncertainty principle (where laws of physics can be temporarily broken). If there is nothing more to measure for an eternity, then a light beam stops existing? Since existence is basically the chance of interacting some point in the future? If that is reduced to zero, it stops existing?

My head hurts :/ .

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Is there a specific question in there?

Where do I get it wrong?

jimmylegss said:
Where do I get it wrong?
"You never reach three, so as far as the counter is concerned three does not exist." Right, but you are using that to (to extend the analogy) conclude that three does not exist at all, which is silly.

By the counter I mean the entity counting from two to three in exp smaller steps. Because if you add in a counter in that context plus element of time, three does not exist.

Jimmy, I can't begin to make heads or tails of your post. I recommend starting with a single question and not chaining together answers to your own questions to make other questions. Thread locked.

1. What is monochromatic light?

Monochromatic light is light that consists of only one wavelength or color. It is a type of light that is found in lasers and other light sources that emit a single color of light.

2. What happens when monochromatic light travels for eternity?

When monochromatic light travels for eternity, it will continue to travel in a straight line at a constant speed, unless it interacts with other particles or objects. It will not dissipate or lose its intensity over time.

3. Will monochromatic light ever reach its destination?

If monochromatic light is traveling in a vacuum, it will continue to travel indefinitely without ever reaching its destination. However, if it encounters particles or objects, it may change direction or be absorbed, thus not reaching its intended destination.

4. Can monochromatic light change color as it travels?

No, monochromatic light will not change color as it travels. It will maintain its single wavelength or color throughout its journey.

5. How is monochromatic light useful in scientific research?

Monochromatic light is useful in scientific research because it allows for precise control and measurement of light. It is also used in spectroscopy to identify the composition of substances and in laser technology for various applications such as cutting, welding, and medical procedures.