What happens when we replace the Dirac Delta function with a sine function?

In summary: Good point. I'll fix that. Thanks!In summary, replacing δ(x), the original Dirac Delta, with δ(sin(ωx)) would result in an infinite spike at every odd multiple of π/2ω on the graph of sinx, with a value of 0 everywhere else. This can be expressed more precisely as the value of the integral of δ(sin(ωx)) being equal to the sum of the values of f(x) for all multiples of π/ω on the interval [a,b].
Kyle Nemeth
If we were to replace δ(x), the orginal Dirac Delta, with δ(sin(ωx)), what would be the result?

Would we have an infinite spike everywhere on the graph of sinx where x is a multiple integer of π/ω? and 0 everywhere else?

I apologize in advance if I had posted in the wrong category.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kyle Nemeth said:
If we were to replace δ(x), the orginal Dirac Delta, with δ(sin(ωx)), what would be the result?

Would we have an infinite spike everywhere on the graph of sinx where x is a multiple integer of π/ω? and 0 everywhere else?
Seems reasonable that ##\delta(\sin(\omega x))## would be infinite wherever ##\omega x## is an odd multiple of ##\pi/2##, and zero everywhere else. In other words, where ##x = \frac{(2k + 1)\pi}{2\omega}##, with k in the integers.

Likes Kyle Nemeth
Yes. For a fuction ##f(x)## with a countable set of zeroes ##x_i##, it holds that
$$
\delta(f(x)) = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f’(x_i)|}
$$

Likes Kyle Nemeth
Mark44 said:
Seems reasonable that ##\delta(\sin(\omega x))## would be infinite wherever ##\omega x## is an odd multiple of ##\pi/2##, and zero everywhere else. In other words, where ##x = \frac{(2k + 1)\pi}{2\omega}##, with k in the integers.
The zeroes of the sine function are integer multiples of pi.

Likes Kyle Nemeth
Thank you guys for answering my question. Very much appreciated.

Speaking very loosely, the answer is yes.

Speaking more carefully, the dirac delta is a distribution, not a function, and only gives a value when included in an integral. That is
##\int_a^b\delta(x)f(x)dx## is equal to ##f(0)## if ##a\leq 0 \leq b## and to zero otherwise. So your question could be expressed more precisely as:
what is the value of ##\int_a^b \delta(\sin\omega x)f(x)dx##?

This can be answered by substitution. Set ##u=\sin\omega x## so that ##du=\omega\cos x\,dx=\omega\sqrt{1-u^2}\,dx##. Then the Dirac delta part of the integrand becomes just ##\delta(u)##.

We'll end up with an answer that is equal to the sum of the values of ##f(x)## for all values of ##x## in ##[a,b]## that are multiples of ##\pi/\omega##.

Likes Kyle Nemeth
Orodruin said:
The zeroes of the sine function are integer multiples of pi.
Doh!

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero for all values of its argument x, except at x = 0 where it is infinitely large. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac Delta function in physics?

The Dirac Delta function is commonly used in physics to represent point charges, point masses, and other point-like objects. It also plays a role in differential equations and signal processing, where it is used to describe the response of a system to an impulse or sudden change.

3. How is the Dirac Delta function related to the sine function?

The Dirac Delta function can be related to the sine function through the Fourier transform. In particular, the Fourier transform of δ(x) is equal to 1, while the Fourier transform of sin(ωx) is proportional to a delta function with a frequency of ω. Therefore, δ(sin(ωx)) can be seen as a combination of two delta functions, one at x = 0 and one at x = 1/ω.

4. What is the graph of δ(sin(ωx))?

The graph of δ(sin(ωx)) is a series of spikes at x = 0, 1/ω, 2/ω, etc., with a height of 1/ω. This can be seen as a combination of the graphs of δ(x) and sin(ωx), with the spikes of δ(x) being modulated by the periodicity of sin(ωx).

5. How is the Dirac Delta function used in practical applications?

The Dirac Delta function is used in various practical applications, such as circuit analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. In circuit analysis, it is used to model idealized components such as ideal resistors and capacitors. In signal processing, it is used to describe the response of a system to an impulse or sudden change. In quantum mechanics, it is used to represent wavefunctions and calculate probabilities of measurements.