What Happens When You Fire & Drop a Bullet from a 2 Story Building?

In summary, the fired bullet and the dropped bullet will arrive at the same time if there is no atmosphere and a flat earth. With an atmosphere, the fired bullet may take longer to fall but it will still arrive at the same time as the dropped bullet because horizontal motion does not affect vertical motion.
eric.rumery
If you are standing atop a 2 story building and fire a bullet vertically towards the ground and drop one from the same height will they arrive at the same time? I am not a physics person but my girlfriend is in it now and tells me that they would arrive at the same time. I don't see this to be true due to the second force acting upon the fired bullet. Can someone please explain this to me in lamens terms. I believe the fired bullet rotate on an axis increasing its terminal velocity anyway?
Thank You,
Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
eric.rumery said:
If you are standing atop a 2 story building and fire a bullet vertically towards the ground and drop one from the same height will they arrive at the same time? I am not a physics person but my girlfriend is in it now and tells me that they would arrive at the same time. I don't see this to be true due to the second force acting upon the fired bullet. Can someone please explain this to me in lamens terms. I believe the fired bullet rotate on an axis increasing its terminal velocity anyway?
You need to clean up the wording here, the bulled is fired horizontally, and the other bullet dropped at the same time the first bullet leaves the barrel. With no atmoshpere, and a relatively flat earth, both bullets land at the same time.

With an atmosphere, the fired bullet will take a bit longer to fall than it would without an atmosphere, but so would the bullet dropped. I suspect if the bullet dropped started tumbling (rotating at a high rate), it would hit the ground later.

Ignoring the overly techinical stuff, the point here is that horizontal motion doesn't affect the vertical motion.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting question. The answer to whether a fired bullet and a dropped bullet from the same height will arrive at the ground at the same time is actually a bit more complex than it may seem.

In theory, if we ignore air resistance, both bullets would indeed reach the ground at the same time. This is because the only force acting on both bullets is gravity, which causes objects of different masses to accelerate at the same rate. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

However, in reality, air resistance plays a significant role in the motion of objects. When a bullet is fired, it experiences two forces - the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground and the force of air resistance pushing against it. This air resistance slows down the fired bullet, making it take longer to reach the ground compared to the dropped bullet which experiences only the force of gravity.

Additionally, as you mentioned, the fired bullet also experiences a second force - the force of the gunpowder explosion propelling it forward. This force causes the bullet to initially accelerate faster than the dropped bullet, but as the air resistance increases, it eventually reaches its maximum velocity and then starts to slow down. This means that the fired bullet will take a longer path to reach the ground compared to the dropped bullet, and therefore, they will not arrive at the same time.

In terms of the rotation of the fired bullet, it is true that it will rotate on its axis as it travels through the air. This rotation can affect its trajectory and make it more prone to air resistance, which can further slow it down. However, this rotation does not significantly impact the overall time it takes for the bullet to reach the ground.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you. Keep asking questions and learning more about physics - it's a fascinating subject!

Related to What Happens When You Fire & Drop a Bullet from a 2 Story Building?

1. What factors affect the trajectory of a bullet when fired from a 2 story building?

The trajectory of a bullet when fired from a 2 story building is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the bullet, the angle at which it is fired, air resistance, and gravity. The shape and weight of the bullet can also play a role.

2. How far can a bullet fired from a 2 story building travel?

The distance a bullet can travel when fired from a 2 story building depends on the factors mentioned above, as well as the specific type of bullet and the condition of the bullet and gun. On average, a bullet fired from a 2 story building can travel anywhere from 200 to 500 yards.

3. What happens to the bullet when it is dropped from a 2 story building?

When a bullet is dropped from a 2 story building, it will initially accelerate towards the ground due to the force of gravity. However, once it reaches terminal velocity, it will continue to fall at a constant speed until it hits the ground. The impact of the bullet will depend on its weight and the surface it lands on.

4. Can a bullet fired from a 2 story building kill someone on the ground?

It is possible for a bullet fired from a 2 story building to kill someone on the ground, depending on several factors such as the type of bullet, the angle it is fired at, and the distance from the building. However, the chances of a bullet causing a fatal injury decrease the further it travels.

5. How does air resistance affect a bullet when fired from a 2 story building?

Air resistance can significantly affect the trajectory of a bullet when fired from a 2 story building. The higher the air resistance, the more it will slow down the bullet, causing it to drop faster. This is why bullets fired at an angle tend to travel a shorter distance than those fired parallel to the ground.