What happens with a 'Light in a box theory'

• Thread starter smokeee77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Theory
In summary, if a converging lens were used to constantly focus incoming light onto a perfect convex mirror, an infinite loop of light could be created. However, this would produce heat rather than mechanical work, and there is no "perfect reflector" similar to no "prefect conductor" of electricity.
smokeee77
I have no background in physics, but I have a question about light.

Might consider it the 'Light in a box theory'.

What would happen if you could make a box or sphere of mirrors that would constantly accept incoming light and focus the light into an infinite loop with little or no difraction?

If this could be done, what would it achieve, or how could it be useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you make a box that would let light in but not let light out?

I just wrote a very detailed response, and when I posted the reply, the forum page had timed out. *!#%* I hate when that happens! What sense does that make!

Why does every forum time out after about 10 or so minutes of writing, and then lose everything you just wrote to tell you to login, again?!?

Seems pretty stupid that I have to copy my text everytime I write something and then re-login in order to post it... (Wait... let me copy before I hit the post button and lose this too).

Last edited:
I would focus the incoming light using a converging lens. The light would be directed onto a perfect convex mirror that would help to further focus the light.
I hope using this method in series, an infinite loop of sorts could be created.

If this were possible, how would the light behave?
Would the particle become more and more charged as more light enters the loop?
Or would the waves cause an interference pattern ruining my loop?

smokeee77 said:
Why does every forum time out after about 10 or so minutes of writing, and then lose everything you just wrote to tell you to login, again?!?

When you log in, click the "Remember Me?" box next to the "User Name" field. Then you'll almost never get logged out automatically, unless it works differently for ordinary members and special members like mentors.

Just remember to log out if you're using a computer that's used by other people, unless you have your own account on that computer, in which case you need to log out from that account in general in order to keep other people from mucking with your stuff.

I have thought about this as well- I believe one factor is the fact that as light refracts or is focused you will lose energy to heat through the mirror or lens, so a truly infinite loop is impossible. A long lasting refracted beam may be possible though...

As far as i can tell this is the optical analog of the carnot heat engine sort of thing, ie looking for 100% efficiency, which of course does not exist.

FunkyDwarf said:
As far as i can tell this is the optical analog of the carnot heat engine sort of thing, ie looking for 100% efficiency, which of course does not exist.

Carnot's heat engine had to do with the transfer of hot & cold in order to produce mechanical work... not sure how that relates to this idea to capture light.

Smokee77, it's a good question. What I think you'll find is that there's no "perfect reflector" similar to no "prefect conductor" of electricity. There's always some resistance, which ends up converting to heat.

(Of course, someone will point out superconductors, those nearly perfect conductors which operate at very cold temperatures.)

Good point about the perfect reflector.
Maybe this experiment experiment would only result in producing heat.
Could it be used to create a flameless heat source, or possibly even drive a steam turbine?
I guess my idea is now sounding a lot more like a light engine.

Related to What happens with a 'Light in a box theory'

1. What is the "Light in a box theory"?

The "Light in a box theory" is a concept in physics that explores the behavior of light when confined within a closed container, such as a box. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and has implications for our understanding of the nature of light and its interactions with matter.

2. What happens to light when it is confined in a box?

According to the "Light in a box theory", when light is confined in a box, its properties change. It becomes quantized, meaning that it can only exist in discrete packets of energy called photons. This confinement also affects the speed and wavelength of light, as well as its interactions with the walls of the box.

3. How does the "Light in a box theory" relate to other theories of light?

The "Light in a box theory" is a specific application of the broader theory of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It also has connections to other theories such as the wave-particle duality of light and the theory of relativity.

4. What are the potential implications of the "Light in a box theory"?

The "Light in a box theory" has implications for various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can help us better understand the behavior of light in different environments and potentially lead to advancements in technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and quantum computing.

5. Is the "Light in a box theory" widely accepted by the scientific community?

While the "Light in a box theory" has been studied and validated by numerous experiments, it is still a subject of ongoing research and discussion in the scientific community. Some scientists have proposed alternative theories or modifications to the existing one, and further studies are needed to fully understand the complexities of light confinement.