What If the South Had Won the Civil War?

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: Turtledove and/or Sterling did something on it I think.In summary, the first trailer for a movie starring mathematicians features a movie that some people may enjoy, while the second trailer is something that is interesting. The movie, "Proof," is about a possible future in which the south won the American Civil War. Some people believe that the movie is historically improbable, and that the only changes made are related to slavery. Furthermore, the movie seems to be focused on geo-political events, which some people believe are easier to predict than personal relationships.
Townsend
Movie trailers...

First, I would not recommend these to someone still on a 56k modem...

For the first trailer we have a movie that I think the math people here will enjoy..

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/proof.html

And here is something that is pretty interesting...what would the world be like if the South had won during the American Civil War?

http://www.ifcfilms.com/ifcfilms?CAT0=3127&CAT1=6526&SHID=23963&VID=4263&CLR=red&BCLR=&VTYPE=6829

Comments...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Proof looks half decent. I might even watch it if I find somewhere to download it. :biggrin:

But CSA is just stupid. Just, plain, stupid. A moronic movie.

Smurf said:
But CSA is just stupid. Just, plain, stupid. A moronic movie.

Why is that?

Well, obviously hard to tell from the trailer but it seems the entire movie is about slavery, as in that's the only change.

That's what is stupid about hollywood, they think that if you change one thing it makes for good entertainment.

It's totally historically improbable (and I'm not talking about the war). I've seen better hypothesis' from High School Students.

Smurf said:
Well, obviously hard to tell from the trailer but it seems the entire movie is about slavery, as in that's the only change.

That's what is stupid about hollywood, they think that if you change one thing it makes for good entertainment.

It's totally historically improbable (and I'm not talking about the war). I've seen better hypothesis' from High School Students.

Slavery is not the only thing that seems to change in this movie...In this movie the US is part of the axis of evil and apperently all sorts of other things...

I guess I thought it seemed like an original idea for a movie...why not look at what might have been?

It's great to look at what might have been, it's how they're doing it that's stupid.
It's completely ridiculous, What if Martin Luther King was a slave? Come on! There wouldn't have even BEEN a Martin Luther King if his hundred year anscestors had a completely different fate! Come on, have sex on tuesday instead of monday and you got a completely different kid. How can you honestly expect all the same people to show up hundreds of years later, with only a few laws and geopolitical specifics having been changed!?

And that's assuming that slavery would've even lasted that long in the states. Which I honestly don't believe it would have, at least not on the open-market kind of system we're assuming. Also It's ridiculous to assume that the USA would ahve risen to the same state as superpower had a MAJOR historical event gone completely differently.

It's not looking at "what might have been" it's looking at "what is with a few differences", and it's stupid.

I'm done editing now, you can respond.

Last edited:
Smurf said:
It's great to look at what might have been, it's how they're doing it that's stupid.
It's completely ridiculous, What if Martin Luther King was a slave? Come on! There wouldn't have even BEEN a Martin Luther King if his hundred year anscestors had a completely different fate! Come on, have sex on tuesday instead of monday and you got a completely different kid. How can you honestly expect all the same people to show up hundreds of years later, with only a few laws and geopolitical specifics having been changed!?

Well, yeah, I see your point. But of course the idea of this movie is not to be totally realistic about everything...that would make for a boring movie. The point is to examine how the events that have happened would possibly be different. Obviously changing the winner of the civil war would have changed the world so completely that you could never really make a good prediction about anything.

Smurf said:
I'm done editing now, you can respond.

shoot... :smile:

Townsend said:
Well, yeah, I see your point. But of course the idea of this movie is not to be totally realistic about everything...that would make for a boring movie.
What? That would make a FASCINATING movie.
The point is to examine how the events that have happened would possibly be different. Obviously changing the winner of the civil war would have changed the world so completely that you could never really make a good prediction about anything.
I don't know, the whole 'what if confederates won the civil war' scenario is pretty old and I've seen some pretty interesting predictions. Focusing mainly on geo-political events, since they're pretty easy to predict (by comparison).

I'll try to dig up some links for you, so you know how stupid this is by comparison to some of the good stuff about it. Turtledove and/or Sterling did something on it I think.

Last edited:
Smurf said:
I can't believe I JUST thought of using Wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline-191

:smile: You're not going to use your infamous one liner at such a golden opportunity as this? :smile:

[edit] seems like a good artical by the way...I would expect nothing from Wiki of course [/edit]

Townsend said:
:smile: You're not going to use your infamous one liner at such a golden opportunity as this? :smile:

[edit] seems like a good artical by the way...I would expect nothing from Wiki of course [/edit]
Well I'm kind of embarassed I spent ages googling and shuffling through my bookcase trying to find Turtledove's name, and then trying to find his website.
I actually didn't think of using Wiki at all, It came up in a google search (I slapped myself in the head).

But remember kids: Wiki is your friend.

Related to What If the South Had Won the Civil War?

1. What would have happened to slavery if the South had won the Civil War?

If the South had won the Civil War, slavery would likely have continued to exist in the Southern states. The Confederate Constitution explicitly protected the institution of slavery, and it was a key factor in the South's decision to secede from the Union. It is possible that the institution of slavery could have eventually been abolished in the South, but it likely would have taken much longer than it did in reality.

2. How would the outcome of the Civil War have affected the economy of the United States?

If the South had won the Civil War, the economy of the United States would have been vastly different. The Southern states were heavily reliant on the institution of slavery for their agricultural economy, while the Northern states were more industrialized. Without the abolition of slavery and the subsequent industrial boom in the North, the United States may have remained a primarily agricultural country with a weaker economy overall.

3. Would the United States still be divided if the South had won the Civil War?

If the South had won the Civil War, it is likely that the United States would have remained divided. The issues that led to the Civil War, such as states' rights and the institution of slavery, were deeply ingrained in the country's history and culture. It is possible that the United States may have eventually reunited, but it would have likely taken a very different path.

4. How would the outcome of the Civil War have affected the political landscape of the United States?

If the South had won the Civil War, the political landscape of the United States would have been drastically different. The Republican Party, which was formed in opposition to the expansion of slavery, would likely not have gained the same level of influence and power. The Democratic Party, which was more dominant in the South, may have remained in control for longer. It is possible that the two-party system we know today may not have emerged.

5. What impact would a Confederate victory have had on international relations?

If the South had won the Civil War, it would have had a significant impact on international relations. The Confederacy would have likely formed its own alliances and trade partnerships, potentially becoming a global economic power. It is also possible that other countries, such as Britain and France, may have recognized the Confederacy as a sovereign nation and established diplomatic relations. This could have significantly altered the balance of power in the world.

Back