What ions produce a 2.00 V potential in an electrochemical cell?

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing an electrochemical cell with a potential closest to 2.00 V based on a given chart. The equations and voltages for the reactions are provided, resulting in a cell voltage of 1.94V. The conversation also includes a reminder to consider simple math when determining the distance between two points.
ana111790

Homework Statement

Based on the following chart, what ions would you use to construct an electrochemical cell with potential closest to 2.00 V?

[PLAIN]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5568/electrochemicalcellchar.png

Homework Equations

I know that I am supposed to add the voltages of the 2 reactions but I am not sure how the signs would go. We are not using a textbook for this class so I have nothing to reference.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd use the following reactions and voltages
Fe3+ -> Fe2+ (-0.771 gaining electron)
Na (s) -> Na+ (+2.71 losing electron)

so the cell voltage would be 1.94V. Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about simple math - what is the distance between -2.7 and +0.7 points?

Thank you, that was very helpful!

1. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through redox reactions. It consists of two electrodes (anode and cathode) and an electrolyte solution.

2. How does an electrochemical cell work?

An electrochemical cell works by allowing electrons to flow from the anode (where oxidation occurs) to the cathode (where reduction occurs) through an external circuit. This flow of electrons generates an electrical current.

3. What is the difference between a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell?

A galvanic cell is a type of electrochemical cell that uses spontaneous redox reactions to produce electrical energy. In contrast, an electrolytic cell uses an external electrical source to drive non-spontaneous redox reactions.

4. What are the applications of electrochemical cells?

Electrochemical cells have many practical applications, including powering batteries, generating electricity in fuel cells, and producing metals through electrolysis. They are also used in medical devices, sensors, and many other electronic devices.

5. How can the efficiency of an electrochemical cell be improved?

The efficiency of an electrochemical cell can be improved by using more reactive electrodes, increasing the surface area of the electrodes, and optimizing the electrolyte concentration. Additionally, using catalysts and designing the cell for maximum current flow can also improve efficiency.