What is a good estimation for the limit of what a person can know?

In summary, the person who gains degrees in five different fields will be able to refer to information learned in all five fields and bring it up at will, but gaps of more than 10 years away from the information will likely prevent the person from revising and learning it quickly.
Hacker Jack
For example: A person who gains degrees in 5 different fields. Will this person be able to refer to information learned in all 5 fields and bring it up at will?

Going by my own understanding of my self it seems to fade away when something new is learned and focused on. But once you revise over it it can be learned quicker than when you were first introduced to the information (maybe like what muscle memory is for exercise). I'm not sure about whether gaps of more than 10 years away from the information will allow you to revise and learn it quickly though. I am not sure how the brain stores memory, maybe I should ask in biology, but brain studies in general still seem to be a young subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on if what is learned is put into use. Apparently much of what you learn in 5th grade is pretty useless in everyday life, hence the program Are you smarter than a 5th grader? which pitts children who've just learned various facts against adults who've put decades between them and the learning of the same facts.

But if you use apply the knowledge of those 5 degrees every day, you'll probably retain it, and better than in the academic days. Even so, most field require constant update courses to keep abreast of the state of the art.

Likes Hacker Jack
Some knowledge persists even as memory and ability fades with time particularly when one practices the related skills. I find that reading, writing and, to a lesser degree, speaking language helps retain rules of grammar and syntax, definitions and spelling, and language communication skills.

Mathematic knowledge and skill retention requires even more practice, as may be expected regarding math as an international, constantly evolving language. Deep knowledge of a field such as electronics seems to occupy a permanent niche aided by extensive experience with electronic theory, internals and devices.

One multi-PhD told me, "I cannot say how many languages I understand. When I hear or read a language I know; I respond." Another friend with doctorates in aero, physics and information theory said much the same about aircraft. Seeing a familiar airplane, picture or scale model recalls reams of data such as flight characteristics and design.Personal health, age and cumulative injuries affect memory even among the most astute.

Last edited:
Likes Hacker Jack and sysprog

1. What factors affect a person's limit of knowledge?

Some factors that can affect a person's limit of knowledge include their intelligence, education, experience, and cognitive abilities. Additionally, a person's access to information and their willingness to learn and explore new ideas can also impact their limit of knowledge.

2. Is it possible for a person to reach their limit of knowledge?

While it is impossible to know everything, it is believed that a person's limit of knowledge is constantly expanding as new information and discoveries are made. Therefore, it is unlikely that a person will ever reach their absolute limit of knowledge.

3. How can a person increase their limit of knowledge?

A person can increase their limit of knowledge by continuously learning and seeking out new information. This can be through formal education, reading, attending seminars or workshops, or engaging in discussions with others. It is also important for a person to be open-minded and willing to challenge their existing beliefs and ideas.

4. Can a person's limit of knowledge change over time?

Yes, a person's limit of knowledge can change over time as they gain new experiences and learn new information. As a person's understanding and perspectives evolve, their limit of knowledge may expand, allowing them to comprehend more complex ideas and concepts.

5. How does personal bias affect a person's limit of knowledge?

Personal bias can greatly impact a person's limit of knowledge as it can restrict their willingness to consider or accept new information that contradicts their beliefs. This can prevent a person from fully understanding a topic or considering alternative perspectives, therefore limiting their overall knowledge on a subject.