What is a good power source for a personal flying machine?

In summary, the individual is seeking to build a personal propulsion system for flying above trees at a fast and sustained speed. They are considering options such as battery, fuel, solar, wind, and magnetism for power sources. The system must also be lightweight and have high energy density or strength to support the operator and itself. Suggestions for potential power sources include human-powered flight and small gas motor-powered ultra-light aircraft.
Quinton Powell
Hello,
I am trying to build a personal (one-manned) propulsion system that will allow individuals to fly above the trees, preferably fast, and for long amounts of time. I plan to do so using propellers. The power will need to be plentiful and long lasting. These are some options that I am familiar with: Battery power, Fuel, Solar power, Wind power, Magnetism. What is the best source of power (may include something that I did not mention)? - It must also be light weight and energy dense, or strong enough to carry itself, the operator, and the system.

Invite anyone that you think might have the answer

Engineering news on Phys.org
Quinton Powell said:
Hello,
I am trying to build a personal (one-manned) propulsion system that will allow individuals to fly above the trees, preferably fast, and for long amounts of time. I plan to do so using propellers. The power will need to be plentiful and long lasting. These are some options that I am familiar with: Battery power, Fuel, Solar power, Wind power, Magnetism. What is the best source of power (may include something that I did not mention)? - It must also be light weight and energy dense, or strong enough to carry itself, the operator, and the system.

Invite anyone that you think might have the answer

Welcome to the PF.

Here is a long PF thread that may give you some ideas...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/practical-personal-flight.792592

:smile:

1. What are the key factors to consider in choosing a power source for a personal flying machine?

The key factors to consider in choosing a power source for a personal flying machine are weight, power output, efficiency, and safety. The power source should be lightweight to avoid adding extra weight to the flying machine, but it also needs to have enough power output to lift the machine and the pilot. Efficiency is also important to ensure that the power source can sustain the flight for a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, safety is crucial as any malfunction or failure of the power source can lead to a dangerous situation in the air.

2. What are the different types of power sources available for personal flying machines?

There are various types of power sources available for personal flying machines, including electric batteries, gasoline engines, solar panels, and hydrogen fuel cells. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of weight, power output, efficiency, and safety.

3. What is the most commonly used power source for personal flying machines?

Currently, electric batteries are the most commonly used power source for personal flying machines. They are lightweight, have a high power output, and are relatively efficient. However, their flight time is limited, so they are mostly used for shorter flights.

4. What advancements have been made in power sources for personal flying machines?

There have been several advancements in power sources for personal flying machines, such as the development of more efficient electric batteries and the use of lightweight materials in gasoline engines. There has also been research on alternative power sources, such as hydrogen fuel cells, which have the potential to provide longer flight times.

5. Can renewable energy sources be used as power sources for personal flying machines?

Yes, renewable energy sources such as solar panels can be used as power sources for personal flying machines. However, their efficiency and power output may not be sufficient for sustained flight, so they are often used in combination with other power sources. Research is ongoing to develop more efficient and lightweight renewable energy sources for personal flying machines.