What is a Hermitian Operator? Explained & Proven

In summary, the conversation is about defining a hermitian operator and proving its general definition using arbitrary vectors and basis vectors. The speaker is struggling with the proof and is seeking help. They are advised to start by expressing the vectors in terms of the basis and using the given definition.
aaaa202
Hi, this is actually more a math-problem than a physics-problem, but I thought I'd post my question here and see if anyone can help me.
So I'm writing an assignment in which I have to define, what is understood by a hermitian operator.
My teacher has told me to definere it as:
<ϕm|A|ϕn> = <ϕn|A|ϕm>* , where lϕn> and lϕm> is the n'th and m'th unit operator.
And using this i then have to proof the more general definition:
<a|A|b> = <b|A|a>*, la> and lb> being arbitrary vectors.
I've tried to do so but I have yet not succeeded:
What I've done is to say: Take a hermitian operator. Since it's hermitian it must satisfy:

A = ∑_(m,n)|ϕm>amn <ϕn| = ∑(m,n)|ϕm> anm*<ϕm|
Which when dotted with 2 arbitrary vectors|ψ> and <φ|equals to:
<φ|A|ψ> = ∑(m,n) <φ|ϕm>amn<ϕn|ψ> = ∑(m,n) <ϕm|φ>*amn <ψ|ϕn>* =
∑(m,n) <ψ|ϕn>* amn <ϕm|φ>*
Since A is hermitian this equals to:
∑(m,n) <ψ|ϕn>* amn <ϕm|φ>* = ∑(m,n) <ψ|ϕn>*anm*<ϕm|φ>* = [∑(m,n) <ψ|ϕn>anm<ϕm|φ>]*
Now the proof would work if |ϕn>anm<ϕm| = |ϕm>amn<ϕn|, but that's not right is it?
Can anyone help me how to proove this? I know it's simple, but I'm still finding it a little hard.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
where lϕn> and lϕm> is the n'th and m'th unit operator.
I assume you mean basis vector, not unit operator.

I suggest that you start with <a|A|b>, express |a> and |b> in terms of that basis, and then use the definition your teacher has told you to use.

Related to What is a Hermitian Operator? Explained & Proven

What is a Hermitian Operator?

A Hermitian operator is a type of linear operator in quantum mechanics that has a special property called Hermiticity or self-adjointness. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, the operator and its adjoint have the same form.

What is the importance of Hermitian Operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are important in quantum mechanics because they represent physical observables such as energy, momentum, and position. These operators have real eigenvalues, which correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement. Additionally, the eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator form a complete set, meaning that any state can be written as a linear combination of these eigenvectors.

How do you prove that an operator is Hermitian?

To prove that an operator is Hermitian, we need to show that it is equal to its own adjoint. First, we take the adjoint of the operator by replacing all the complex numbers with their complex conjugates and switching the order of multiplication. Then, we compare this adjoint to the original operator. If they are the same, then the operator is Hermitian.

Can a non-Hermitian operator represent a physical observable?

No, a non-Hermitian operator cannot represent a physical observable in quantum mechanics. This is because non-Hermitian operators do not have real eigenvalues, which are necessary for the outcomes of a measurement. Additionally, the eigenvectors of a non-Hermitian operator do not form a complete set, meaning that not all states can be written as a linear combination of these eigenvectors.

What is the difference between Hermitian and unitary operators?

The main difference between Hermitian and unitary operators is that Hermitian operators are equal to their own adjoints, while unitary operators are equal to their own inverses. This means that the adjoint of a unitary operator is also its inverse. Another difference is that Hermitian operators represent physical observables while unitary operators represent transformations that preserve the inner product of vectors.