What is a homework/coursework type question?

• Thread starter pc2-brazil
  • Start date
In summary, a homework/coursework "type" question is one that resembles a question or exercise found in high school or undergraduate textbooks. These types of questions are typically posted in the appropriate subforum and may receive a zero point informational message if they need to be moved by a moderator. If unsure of where to post, it is recommended to report the post and ask for it to be moved if needed.
pc2-brazil
What is a homework/coursework "type" question?

Good evening,

Even after reading the Forum Guidelines, I am still not sure about what exactly is a homework/coursework "type" question. For me, the word "type" makes the term a little vague, because I think most questions/doubts about Physics can potentially look like having come from a textbook.
If one looks in other sections such as "General Physics", one will find many questions that may resemble a homework assignment.

None of my Physics questions I've posted here are really "homework assignments"; they are doubts that arise from curiosity; but, in order to ask a Physics doubt, it is generally necessary to formulate the question in a way that may look very much like a homework/coursework question. How can I tell when my question is homework/coursework "type"?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Basically questions/exercises like the ones you encounter in high school and undergraduate textbooks are considered 'homework type'. Questions from more advanced courses (graduate level) can be discussed in the main forums. You can ask for explanations of concepts etc. in the appropriate subforum of course.

In some cases you may not be completely sure, but in those rare cases just post wherever you think is approriate. It will be moved by the moderators if needed.

Last edited:

dx said:
Basically questions/exercises like the ones you encounter in high school and undergraduate textbooks are considered 'homework type'. Questions from more advanced courses (graduate level) can be discussed in the main forums. You can ask for explanations of concepts etc. in the appropriate subforum of course.

In some cases you may not be completely sure, but in those rare cases just post wherever you think is approriate. It will be moved by the moderators if needed.

Thank you for the clarification. Now I understand better.
But, if the moderators need to move a question, isn't there the risk of being marked with an infraction?
That has already happened to me, in a situation in which I wasn't sure where to post.

pc2-brazil said:
But, if the moderators need to move a question, isn't there the risk of being marked with an infraction?
That has already happened to me, in a situation in which I wasn't sure where to post.
It also happened to me. I don't complain though, the infraction is not important (you can still post here, nothing changes) and it expires after 6 months.

pc2-brazil said:
Hi pc2, I checked and you just received an "informational" zero point message when your post was moved.

Evo said:
Hi pc2, I checked and you just received an "informational" zero point message when your post was moved.

Are you talking about this one?:
https://www.physicsforums.com/infraction.php?do=view&p=1699846
I haven't perceived that it was zero point.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

pc2-brazil said:
Are you talking about this one?:
https://www.physicsforums.com/infraction.php?do=view&p=1699846
I haven't perceived that it was zero point.

Thank you.
Yes, if you look at the top right it says

Last edited by a moderator:

The other option, if you aren't sure where it should belong, is to post it wherever you think it goes, and then report your own post with your reasoning for where you put it, asking that it be moved if needed.

NeoDevin said:
The other option, if you aren't sure where it should belong, is to post it wherever you think it goes, and then report your own post with your reasoning for where you put it, asking that it be moved if needed.
NeoDevin, this is a good suggestion.

thank you for all the answers.

1. What is the difference between a homework question and a coursework question?

A homework question is a specific task or problem given to students to complete outside of class as part of their regular coursework. It is usually assigned on a daily or weekly basis and is meant to reinforce the material covered in class. A coursework question is a more complex and extensive assignment that requires students to apply their knowledge and skills to complete a larger project or task. It is often given at the end of a semester or course and is meant to assess students' understanding of the entire subject.

2. How do I approach a homework/coursework question?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the question or prompt. Then, review the material covered in class and any relevant notes or resources. If you are still unsure, ask your teacher or classmates for clarification. Next, create a plan or outline for how you will tackle the question, breaking it down into smaller, manageable parts. Finally, remember to check your work for accuracy and completeness before submitting it.

3. Can I use outside resources or collaborate with others on a homework/coursework question?

It depends on the specific instructions given by your teacher or professor. Some assignments may allow or even encourage the use of outside sources or group work, while others may require you to work independently. Make sure to follow the guidelines given and properly cite any sources used.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a homework/coursework question?

If you are struggling with a question, don't panic. Take a step back and review the material and any applicable notes or resources. If you are still having trouble, ask your teacher for help or clarification. You can also try working with classmates or seeking assistance from a tutor or study group.

5. How much time should I spend on a homework/coursework question?

The amount of time you should spend on a question will vary depending on its complexity and your own personal learning style. Some students may be able to complete a question quickly, while others may need more time to thoroughly understand and complete it. As a general rule, it is important to budget your time wisely and not rush through the question, but also not spend an excessive amount of time on it.