Why? (What if I really have no idea how to start a homework problem?)

• Thread starter askor
  • Start date
In summary, the problem statement is clear, the relevant equations are given, and other relevant information is given. However, I feel that this is not a question that should be posted on a homework board.
askor
Why everything I asked here in this forums especially in Mathematics section (Calculus, etc.) falls into homework question and my thread disappear absorbed by a black hole?

There is "attempt" field in the homework section which is must be filled, otherwise the thread will be deleted by moderator.

What about if I, honestly, really don't know this "attempt" and how do I convince people and moderator that I really don't know the "attempt" or should I say my brain is blank?

I don't know where else to ask.

I am very frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
Why everything I asked here in this forums especially in Mathematics section (Calculus, etc.) falls into homework question and my thread disappear absorbed by a black hole?
This is because if we didn't remove them, they would serve as examples for threads in which the OP got away without showing any own effort. We would end up in endless debates about that rule and finally would have to toss it.
There is "attempt" field in the homework section which is must be filled, otherwise the thread will be deleted by moderator.

What about if I, honestly, really don't know this "attempt" and how do I convince people and moderator that I really don't know the "attempt" or should I say my brain is blank?
This is hardly to believe. You must have had some thoughts and tries, even if unsuccessful. If your brain was actually blank, what would an answer do? And most of all: what to answer? You cannot expect an entire lecture on the specific area.
I don't know where else to ask.

I am very frustrated.
That's a pity and I hope we can get upon this situation. It is not much which is required to count as own effort. Some thoughts that ended up in a deadlock, some calculations that led to circles, or whatever. If you really had absolutely no idea, then either this course you took is senseless, or you have questions about the basics, which you can post in a technical forum. However, specific exercises count as homework.

I have written a small article in the insight section (to be published next week) which explains how to tackle such problems. If you follow those steps, you will automatically create some "own effort". In the end we just want to make sure that we will not be abused as a solution production automaton for lazy students. We have the strong opinion, that providing full solutions won't help you a lot. Those solutions will be forgotten as fast as they have been given. It is far better to work on a problem than to read the solution.

Edit: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/how-most-proofs-are-structured-and-how-to-write-them/

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995 and Bystander
fresh_42 said:
If you really had absolutely no idea, then either this course you took is senseless

And in that case, dropping back one course might be wise.

Likes Bystander
askor,

Upon looking for the template, the forum has no template page for reference, but looking at homework forums, each homework board does have at least an explanation, more or less, of how to present a posting asking for homework help; and also the homework help asking posts have a sort of template filled with the users's question.

Be sure you read this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/
If you want to write the template into your post the low-level way, then that should work well. Like this:

PROBLEM STATEMENT:

RELEVANT EQUATIONS:

Other Descriptions Or Comments You have about the problem exercise

1. Why do I need to do homework?

Homework is an essential part of the learning process. It helps you practice and reinforce the concepts you have learned in class, and prepares you for exams and assessments.

2. Why is it important to start a homework problem?

Starting a homework problem is important because it allows you to get familiar with the material and identify any areas where you may need additional help. It also helps you manage your time and stay on track with completing assignments.

3. Why is it difficult for me to start a homework problem?

Starting a homework problem can be difficult for various reasons, such as lack of understanding of the material, feeling overwhelmed, or lack of motivation. It is important to address these issues and seek help if needed to overcome any difficulties.

4. Why should I ask for help if I have no idea how to start a homework problem?

Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It shows that you are committed to understanding the material and completing your assignments to the best of your ability. Seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate can provide valuable insights and guidance on how to approach a problem.

5. Why is it important to try to start a homework problem even if I have no idea how to do it?

Trying to start a homework problem, even if you have no idea how to do it, is important because it allows you to engage with the material and begin the problem-solving process. It also helps you identify any gaps in your understanding and gives you a starting point to seek help and clarification.