Solving Inequality With Complex Numbers Question

In summary: Re(pz). So the inequality would be y>2*((a/b)*x)+ c/(2*b). If b is positive, then the inequality is inverted.
sarahs52
"Solving Inequality With Complex Numbers" Question

Homework Statement

What does the inequality pz + conjugate(pz) + c < 0 represent if |p|^2 >c ?

Homework Equations

p is a constant and a member of the set of complex numbers. c is a constant and a member of the set of real numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, for the EQUALITY pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0, where p = a+ib, z = x+iy :

pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0 => (a+ib)(x+iy) + conjugate((a+ib)(x+iy)) + c = 0 => ax + iay + ibx - by + ax - iay -ixb -by + c = 0 => y=((a/b)*x)+ c/(2*b).

So, the inequality is y> ((a/b)*x)+ c/(2*b).

MY QUESTION IS: WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF --> |p|^2 >c WHEN SHOWING THE INEQUALITY --> pz + conjugate(pz) + c < 0.

I know that |p| = sqrt((a^2) + (b^2)), so |p|^2 >c implies ((a^2) + (b^2)) > c but I don't understand how this helps to show the the inequality pz + conjugate(pz) + c < 0... or more so, the inequality y > ((a/b)*x)+ c/(2*b).

ALSO, if I were to graph this inequality, would it be a (diagonal) dotted line (I say dotted because points on the line are not a part of the solution) where the graph is shaded above the dotted line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

sarahs52 said:

Homework Statement

What does the inequality pz + conjugate(pz) + c < 0 represent if |p|^2 >c ?
It doesn't represent anything because the complex numbers do NOT form an "ordered field". There is no way to define "<" for complex numbers consistent with their arithmetic.

Homework Equations

p is a constant and a member of the set of complex numbers. c is a constant and a member of the set of real numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, for the EQUALITY pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0, where p = a+ib, z = x+iy :

pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0 => (a+ib)(x+iy) + conjugate((a+ib)(x+iy)) + c = 0 => ax + iay + ibx - by + ax - iay -ixb -by + c = 0 => y=((a/b)*x)+ c/(2*b).

MY QUESTION IS: WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF --> |p|^2 >c WHEN SHOWING THE INEQUALITY --> pz + conjugate(pz) + c < 0.

I know that |p| = sqrt((a^2) + (b^2)), so |p|^2 >c implies ((a^2) + (b^2)) > c but I don't understand how this helps to show the the inequality pz + conjugate(pz) + c < 0... or more so, the inequality y > ((a/b)*x)+ c/(2*b).

ALSO, if I were to graph this inequality, would it be a (diagonal) dotted line (I say dotted because points on the line are not a part of the solution) where the graph is shaded above the dotted line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

HallsofIvy said:
It doesn't represent anything because the complex numbers do NOT form an "ordered field". There is no way to define "<" for complex numbers consistent with their arithmetic.

That doesn't seem to be quite right, since the resulting expression is a real number.
And for real numbers the "<" inequality is defined.

pz + conjugate(pz) = 2 Re(pz)

I don't see any particular relevance either to |p|2 > c.

Not quite.
The direction of the inequality depends on the sign of b.
If b is negative, the inequality is inverted.

And I agree that you get a shaded half surface bounded by your dotted line.
You only have to be careful, which half surface you have exactly.

I like Serena said:
That doesn't seem to be quite right, since the resulting expression is a real number.
And for real numbers the "<" inequality is defined.

pz + conjugate(pz) = 2 Re(pz)
Right, I completely missed that.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real part and an imaginary part. They are expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How can complex numbers be used to solve inequalities?

Complex numbers can be used to solve inequalities by graphing them on a complex plane and finding the region that satisfies the inequality. The solutions can also be found algebraically by manipulating the inequality to isolate the complex number and then solving for its real and imaginary parts separately.

3. Can complex numbers be compared using greater than or less than symbols?

No, complex numbers cannot be directly compared using greater than or less than symbols. This is because they have both real and imaginary parts, making it difficult to determine which number is larger or smaller. Instead, complex numbers are compared using the modulus, which represents the distance from the origin on the complex plane.

4. Are there any special rules for solving inequalities with complex numbers?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving inequalities with complex numbers. The first is that the inequality sign must be maintained throughout the solving process, and the second is that the same operation must be applied to both the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. Additionally, when graphing on a complex plane, the shaded region for the solution will be on the same side as the inequality sign (e.g. for <, the shaded region will be below the line).

5. Can complex numbers be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to solve real-world problems, particularly in physics and engineering. They can be used to represent physical quantities such as electrical currents, force, and motion. By using complex numbers to solve these problems, we can obtain more accurate and precise solutions.