What is a recommended textbook for solid mechanics?

In summary, the conversation was about a need for a textbook on solid mechanics, specifically for topics such as FE analysis, plane stress and strain, and constitutive laws. The suggested textbook was "Introduction to Linear Elasticity" by Gould, which was used in the past and can be found on Amazon or Thriftbooks.
Trying2Learn
Summary: In need of a textbook on solid mechanics

Hello,

I was asked to teach a class in FE analysis (this is not the issue) for solid mechanics (and, specifically, plane stress and strain)

The issue is that some students will be deficient in solid mechanics (long story, I will have the time to help them catch up).

But I need a textbook that covers these topics

Introduction (SIMPLE tensor notation -- nothing about Christoffel symbols, etc.)
Simple strain in 3D (nothing fancy)
Simple stress (no Jaumann stress rate or anything fancy -- no Mohr's Circle, etc.): Cauchy Tetrahedron, etc.
Constitutive law in 3D (and I will reduce to plane stress and strain)

Can anyone suggest such a textbook (PDF, or notes?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying2Learn
I used this text way back in the '70s.
mechanics.jpg

Image from: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/introduction-to-mechanics-of-solids_egor-paul-popov/1403813/item/11475384/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMfhkL2I-QIV7sqUCR1owQ6iEAQYASABEgKbd_D_BwE#idiq=11475384&edition=3106634

1. What is solid mechanics?

Solid mechanics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid materials under external forces. It involves the study of how forces and stresses affect the shape, motion, and stability of solid objects.

2. What topics are typically covered in a solid mechanics textbook?

A solid mechanics textbook typically covers topics such as stress and strain analysis, deformation of solids, elasticity, plasticity, and fracture mechanics. It may also include topics such as beams, columns, and trusses, as well as an introduction to finite element analysis.

3. Is solid mechanics only applicable to engineering?

No, solid mechanics has applications in various fields such as physics, materials science, and geology. It is also used in designing structures, machines, and other mechanical systems.

4. What skills are required to understand a solid mechanics textbook?

A solid understanding of mathematics, specifically calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to understand concepts such as stress, strain, and deformation. Familiarity with physics principles such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy is also helpful.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solid mechanics?

Yes, solid mechanics has numerous real-world applications such as designing and analyzing structures, predicting material failure, and developing new materials with desired mechanical properties. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.