What is a Russian style in mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "good Russian style" in mathematics and its possible differences from the Bourbaki style. It is believed that Russian style is less focused on abstract theorems and more on practical examples and applications of math. The level of rigor may vary, but there are notable Russian mathematicians who have produced work that is both applied and mathematically precise. V.I. Arnold is mentioned as an example and his opinion on the increased abstraction in mathematics is discussed. However, it is noted that Russian style is not identical to Arnold's style.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Many times I have seen the claim that some text on mathematics is written in a "good Russian style". What does that mean?

Somehow I've got an impression that it is a kind of opposite to the Bourbaki style. Namely, a Russian style would not consist of a dry series of abstract general theorems and proofs. Instead, it would contain a lot of practical examples that teach you how to apply math to practical problems. Is that correct? Or perhaps it means something else?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think to a considerable degree you are right. In my experience, the level of rigor may vary. I have read work by Russian mathematicians that is very applied and mathematically precise at the same time, see e.g. Mark Krasnosel'skii.

Perhaps you find some of the links on V.I. Arnold's wiki interesting. He had quite a strong opinion about mathematics' tendency towards increased abstraction. (Look for the phrase "Bourbaki" on that page.) You may find this biography useful as well. Of course, Russian style is not identically equal to Arnold's style, but he may provide a prominent example.

Incidentally, I find it difficult to really appreciate Arnold, for he has worked in so many fields (ranging from pure to applied) and I'm familiar with only a few of those. His books on differential equations and mechanics are not among my personal favorites.

Last edited:
Likes heff001 and Demystifier

1. What is the Russian style in mathematics?

The Russian style in mathematics refers to the approach and methods used by Russian mathematicians in solving problems and proving theorems. It is known for its emphasis on rigorous proof and its focus on solving complex problems using simple and elegant techniques.

2. How is the Russian style different from other styles of mathematics?

The Russian style is known for its emphasis on geometric intuition and visual thinking, as well as its use of symmetries and transformations in problem-solving. It is also characterized by its use of algebraic techniques, such as the method of mathematical induction, to prove theorems.

3. Who were some influential Russian mathematicians in developing this style?

Some influential Russian mathematicians in the development of the Russian style include Nikolai Lobachevsky, who developed non-Euclidean geometry, and Pafnuty Chebyshev, who made significant contributions to number theory and probability theory.

4. What are some key concepts and techniques used in the Russian style?

Some key concepts and techniques used in the Russian style include the use of symmetry and group theory, the method of mathematical induction, and the use of geometric intuition and visual thinking to solve problems. It also places a strong emphasis on precise and rigorous proof.

5. How has the Russian style influenced modern mathematics?

The Russian style has had a significant impact on modern mathematics, particularly in the fields of geometry, number theory, and probability theory. Its emphasis on rigorous proof and elegant problem-solving techniques has influenced mathematicians around the world, and its use of algebraic techniques has led to important advancements in various fields of mathematics.