What is an Extinction Spectrum? Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles

In summary, an extinction spectrum refers to the constant that determines the damping of a wave in a medium, while absorption refers to the energy that is absorbed. These two concepts are essentially equivalent for diluted solutions, but may differ for strongly absorbing or reflecting media. The resonant frequency for a nanoparticle colloid can be found at the wavelength corresponding to the peak of its extinction spectrum. Additionally, the extinction spectra for particles of different sizes (5, 50, 100, and 200nm) may move towards smaller wavelengths as the particles get larger, contrary to the expected red-shift.
austinmw89
Would someone please tell me what an extinction spectrum refers to? e.g. for plasmonic gold nanoparticles. Is it the same thing as reflection, absorption, or transmission spectrum? Something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a reference extinction spectrum (plain water) and an extinction spectrum for a colloid solution. How do I use these to get the absorption spectrum for the colloid? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Extinction is the constant which determines the damping of a wave entering a medium. Absorption is the part of energy which is absorbed.
For diluted solutions (as may be the case with your gold particle solution) the two are basically equivalent, see Lambert Beers law. However, for strongly absorbing or reflecting media the two may be quite different. E.g. a metal has a high extinction constant but absorbs little of the light, as most of it is reflected.

Likes austinmw89
Thank you, that clarifies things a lot. Does this mean the resonant frequency for my nanoparticle colloid is just at the wavelength corresponding to the peak of its extinction spectrum? Also the extinction specta for my particles (5, 50, 100, 200nm) is moving toward smaller wavelengths as the particles get larger, but I thought they were supposed to red-shift?

Last edited:

1. What is an Extinction Spectrum?

An Extinction Spectrum refers to the measurement of light absorption and scattering by a material as a function of wavelength. It is often used in the study of plasmonic gold nanoparticles, which exhibit unique optical properties due to their small size and shape.

2. How are Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles created?

Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles are typically created through a process called chemical synthesis, where gold ions are reduced to form small particles. The size and shape of these particles can be controlled to produce different optical properties.

3. What makes Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles unique?

Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles have a unique ability to interact with light at the nanoscale. They can enhance the absorption and scattering of light, making them useful for applications such as biomedical imaging and sensing.

4. How does the Extinction Spectrum of Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles change with size?

The Extinction Spectrum of Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles is highly dependent on their size and shape. As the size of the nanoparticles decreases, the peak of the spectrum shifts towards shorter wavelengths, resulting in a blue shift.

5. What are the potential applications of Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles?

Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles have a wide range of potential applications, including biosensing, drug delivery, and cancer therapy. They can also be used in the development of new optical devices, such as plasmonic sensors and photovoltaic cells.