What is best way to start learning DMRG for Fermions?

In summary, an introductory level article on the DMRG for fermionic systems does not exist, but the PhD thesis mentioned by the user might help in understanding the sign problem.
Luqman Saleem
I want to learn the density matrix renormalization group (DMRG) method in traditional formalism (not MPS). While there are many good introductory level articles available for bosonic (and spin) systems, I have not encountered any introductory level article which deals with fermionic systems i.e. Hubbard model and its variants. All articles mention the DMRG algorithm (for the finite and infinite chain) but none of them explicitly explains it for fermionic systems. i.e. how to do half-filling, 3/4 filling e.t.c.

Do you happen to know any introductory level article which explains the technicalities of fermionic DMRG? If there are not any such article, can you please shed some light on the fermionic DMRG.

Thank you so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to add sometime Hubbard chains to my open source DMRG project (described here: https://compphys.go.ro/density-matrix-renormalization-group/ - it's the 'old style', for MPS I have a TEBD project, too) but I don't have enough time for it.

There is a sign issue that complicates things for fermionic operators, that's why the simple implementations and tutorials are avoiding it. You might find the links on my blog helpful, I think I pointed out at least two ways of dealing with the issue - some PhD thesis that deals with Hubbard models and I also pointed the way ITensor deals with it, with the Jordan-Wigner transformation.

Likes atyy and Luqman Saleem
aaroman said:
I wanted to add sometime Hubbard chains to my open source DMRG project (described here: https://compphys.go.ro/density-matrix-renormalization-group/ - it's the 'old style', for MPS I have a TEBD project, too) but I don't have enough time for it.

There is a sign issue that complicates things for fermionic operators, that's why the simple implementations and tutorials are avoiding it. You might find the links on my blog helpful, I think I pointed out at least two ways of dealing with the issue - some PhD thesis that deals with Hubbard models and I also pointed the way ITensor deals with it, with the Jordan-Wigner transformation.

First of all, thank you so much for that open source project. I actually started with your work. The PhD thesis that you have mentioned helped me in dealing with the sign problem. I guess, right now I am not able to understand the diagonalization of a Hamiltonian in the subspace of particles. I have explained it in more details here https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...agonalize-a-hamiltonian-in-a-subspace.965747/
I will be very thankful if you could have a look at it and tell me what am I missing.

1. What is DMRG and why is it useful for studying fermions?

DMRG stands for density matrix renormalization group and it is a numerical method used to study quantum many-body systems. It is particularly useful for studying fermionic systems because it allows for the efficient treatment of long-range correlations, which are important for understanding the behavior of fermions.

2. What are the basic steps for learning DMRG for fermions?

The basic steps for learning DMRG for fermions include understanding the theoretical foundations of the method, familiarizing yourself with the necessary mathematical concepts and algorithms, and practicing with simple examples to gain a better understanding of the technique.

3. Are there any prerequisites for learning DMRG for fermions?

Yes, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics, many-body physics, and numerical methods before attempting to learn DMRG for fermions. Familiarity with programming languages such as Python or MATLAB is also helpful for implementing DMRG algorithms.

4. What are some good resources for learning DMRG for fermions?

Some good resources for learning DMRG for fermions include textbooks, online lectures, and research papers. Some recommended textbooks are "Density Matrix Renormalization: A New Numerical Method in Physics" by Ulrich Schollwock and "Quantum Many-Body Systems in One Dimension" by Andreas Osterloh. Online lectures by experts in the field can also be found on platforms such as YouTube and Coursera.

5. How can I apply DMRG for fermions to my own research?

To apply DMRG for fermions to your own research, it is important to first understand the basics of the method and its limitations. Then, you can start by implementing simple examples and gradually move on to more complex systems. It is also helpful to collaborate with experts in the field and attend conferences or workshops to learn about the latest developments in DMRG for fermions.