What is causing the dramatic rise in Arctic temperatures?

In summary, Chip Knappenberger of the Cato Institute, a noted global warming skeptic, has stated that natural variability is becoming increasingly influenced by anthropogenic activities. The discussion then delved into the impact of human population on the environment, with one person noting that with 7.4 billion humans, it is inevitable that we are affecting the climate through our activities such as transportation, agriculture, and land development. Another person shared their concern about the manipulation and distortion of data for political agendas, and the negative impact it has on the credibility of scientists. The conversation then shifted to the concept of carrying capacity and how our use of fossil fuels has allowed us to exceed the natural limits of the environment. The idea of increasing density in urban areas was
Aufbauwerk 2045
It seems Chip Knappenberger of the Cato Institute, who is considered something of a global warming skeptic, has made an interesting statement.

“Natural variability is itself is becoming increasingly ‘non-natural’ as it includes influences which themselves are shaped by anthropogenic activities,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...natural-arctic-warmth/?utm_term=.23d08f787793

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Geeze, we have 7.4 billion humans, with that comes the amount of cars, trucks, trains, planes, boats, homes and businesses to heat and cool, animals to care for, farming and ranching to be done, sanitation, water purification, and on and on. Destroying wetlands, rainforests, paving huge amounts of land. How could we NOT be affecting the climate?

What I have always been against is faking data to push an agenda. I think it's bad enough without cherry picking and "tweaking" things. I have zero tolerance for dishonesty in science. You lose your credibility and once lost it's hard to regain. That happened and now good scientists are having to re-establish the credibility they lost due to the over-zealous few. I am glad that episode is over.

Last edited:
Likes EnumaElish, jim hardy and fresh_42
Evo said:
I am glad that episode is over.

Optimistic.

Likes Evo and fresh_42
Evo said:
we have 7.4 billion humans, with
Just a thought.
I wonder how many animals, plants, fish, insects, birds people have been displaced from if we humans had never been here.
ie the theoretical difference in biomass of the planet Earth with or without humans.

@256bits A concept in Population Biology is the carrying capacity of a given environment. Sort of an energy budget. It is the amount of primary productivity (photosynthesis minus respiration) left over for all of the consumers - herbivores and carnivores, for example. We have usurped a lot of that productivity.

Ranchers use the Animal Unit Month concept - how many acres of pasture per month is required to raise one animal from birth to market. In a natural setting with no irrigation or added feed brought in this gives you an approximate idea of primary productivity. Where I am in New Mexico USA, this number usually given as 30AUM. So, 30 * 12 = 360 acres of grazing land for one animal. This is more than a half square mile. If land becomes overgrazed because of running too many head of cattle, AUM increases.

Dairy cattle and beef cattle production exceeds AUM's available. So the deficit is made up by expending fossil fuel energy - pumped irrigation, hay trucks. The estimates of fuel I've seen indicate one pound of meat animal requires one gallon of fuel. For one cwt of milk it is more than that.

So, the amount of displacement is not what you may think. We change the energy budget with fossil fuel. Which allows us to have lots of forests and national parks and urban sprawl, on the "free" AUM's.

Likes EnumaElish, 256bits and jim hardy
jim mcnamara said:
@256bits A concept in Population Biology is the carrying capacity of a given environment. Sort of an energy budget. It is the amount of primary productivity (photosynthesis minus respiration) left over for all of the consumers - herbivores and carnivores, for example. We have usurped a lot of that productivity.

Ranchers use the Animal Unit Month concept - how many acres of pasture per month is required to raise one animal from birth to market. In a natural setting with no irrigation or added feed brought in this gives you an approximate idea of primary productivity. Where I am in New Mexico USA, this number usually given as 30AUM. So, 30 * 12 = 360 acres of grazing land for one animal. This is more than a half square mile. If land becomes overgrazed because of running too many head of cattle, AUM increases.

Dairy cattle and beef cattle production exceeds AUM's available. So the deficit is made up by expending fossil fuel energy - pumped irrigation, hay trucks. The estimates of fuel I've seen indicate one pound of meat animal requires one gallon of fuel. For one cwt of milk it is more than that.

So, the amount of displacement is not what you may think. We change the energy budget with fossil fuel. Which allows us to have lots of forests and national parks and urban sprawl, on the "free" AUM's.

How do urban areas effect carrying capacity? i.e. the fact that if I have 1000 people sprawled out, they will tend to use more resources than 1000 people concentrated in a city that are sharing resources.

-Dave K

Likes 256bits
Paved land has much lower primary productivity than grasslands, usually close to zero. So urban sprawl requires lots of additional energy to support the dense populations.

jim mcnamara said:
Paved land has much lower primary productivity than grasslands, usually close to zero. So urban sprawl requires lots of additional energy to support the dense populations.

I am perhaps thinking of a different concept. Something I heard about from this person's research about scaling.

Cities are more efficient - from our perspective - as they increase in size. His argument is based on infrastructure energy expenditure, what I mentioned is simply a basic ecological model of the food chain. Or, if you prefer, me==food, West==roads, sewers, stores, warehouses, housing. The city planners for Albuquerque here use his concept of increasing density of living spaces to cut the cost of infrastructure. They opt for multi-family dwellings. One house is torn down and replaced by two 4-plex dwellings, for example

Home builders do this as well. All the new single family housing developments have way fewer feet of roads, sidewalks, pipelines and an increased number of homes per acre. Saves on energy in both building and maintaining things.

Likes 256bits and dkotschessaa
jim mcnamara said:
Cities are more efficient - from our perspective - as they increase in size. His argument is based on infrastructure energy expenditure, what I mentioned is simply a basic ecological model of the food chain. Or, if you prefer, me==food, West==roads, sewers, stores, warehouses, housing. The city planners for Albuquerque here use his concept of increasing density of living spaces to cut the cost of infrastructure. They opt for multi-family dwellings. One house is torn down and replaced by two 4-plex dwellings, for example

Home builders do this as well. All the new single family housing developments have way fewer feet of roads, sidewalks, pipelines and an increased number of homes per acre. Saves on energy in both building and maintaining things.

Thanks Jim.

256bits said:
Just a thought.
I wonder how many animals, plants, fish, insects, birds people have been displaced from if we humans had never been here.
ie the theoretical difference in biomass of the planet Earth with or without humans.
the world wildlife federation estimates a seventy percent decrease in wildlife populations over the past 50 years

Likes 256bits
dkotschessaa said:
How do urban areas effect carrying capacity? i.e. the fact that if I have 1000 people sprawled out, they will tend to use more resources than 1000 people concentrated in a city that are sharing resources.

-Dave K
One of the most important things to look at is where the things people consume come from. One hundred years ago, most of the food people ate come from close to where they lived. It was common for many to people to both make and repair the objects they used in daily life. A state of nearly total local self sufficiency has been the norm for most of human history.
WIthin capitalist social organization, technology tends to develop in directions which maximize the expanded accumulation of capital, mostly by economies of scale via machines. Because the impacts of long distance transportation (climate change)
, industrial agriculture (soil degredation, species loss, climate change, rural depopulation, concentration in land ownership), use of mechanical labour to replace human labour (energy consumption, net job loss, trades and craft techniques unable to compete),etc, are all externalized, this mode of production is described as being more efficient. However, it would be more accurate to describe it as allowing a greater portion of wealth produced to accumulate to a smaller portion of people.

My fault, I just realized that this thread doesn't meet the new rules for discussion, but has been very orderly and I want to thank all for participating, but I must close it.

Likes dkotschessaa

1. What is the main driver of the rise in Arctic temperatures?

The main driver of the rise in Arctic temperatures is the increase in greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide and methane, in the atmosphere. These gases trap heat and prevent it from escaping, leading to a warming effect on the Earth's surface.

2. Is human activity responsible for the rise in Arctic temperatures?

Yes, human activity is the primary cause of the rise in Arctic temperatures. Burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and other human activities release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming and the resulting rise in Arctic temperatures.

3. Are there any natural factors contributing to the rise in Arctic temperatures?

While human activity is the main driver of the rise in Arctic temperatures, natural factors such as changes in solar radiation, volcanic eruptions, and ocean currents can also play a role. However, these natural factors alone cannot explain the rapid and significant rise in Arctic temperatures in recent years.

4. How does the rise in Arctic temperatures affect the rest of the world?

The rise in Arctic temperatures has global impacts, including sea level rise, more frequent and severe extreme weather events, and disruptions to ecosystems and wildlife. It can also contribute to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets, which can further accelerate global warming.

5. Can anything be done to stop or slow down the rise in Arctic temperatures?

While the rise in Arctic temperatures may seem overwhelming, there are actions we can take to mitigate its effects. These include reducing greenhouse gas emissions, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing policies to promote sustainable practices. It is crucial that we take action now to prevent further warming and protect the Arctic ecosystem and its inhabitants.