What is constant flow system in air condioning (HVAC)?

In summary: Air conditioner...?In summary, the problem seems to be that you are not familiar with the concept of a constant flow system. This is a type of system where the fan always turns on and off based on a thermostat, which is typically how residential systems work. The two most common temperature control methods are cycling and controlling the amount of cooling done to the supply air. Cycling changes the supply air temperature, while controlling the amount of cooling done to the supply air is via cycling/modulating a refrigerant circuit or modulating a chilled water valve. Reheat uses an electric or
srinaath
I am an electrical guy, i can't understand the concept of constant flow system...and how temperature is controlled in room by Air conditioner...thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your question is very vague: there are several types of constant flow systems, which can control temperature in several different ways:
1. By cycling the fan.
2. By controlling the amount of cooling done to the supply air.
3. By adding reheat.

Do you have a more specific description of the system you are dealing with?

Likes srinaath
what i have read is that AC(air conditioner) is classified as constant flow and variable flow system...constant flow system is the one which maintains constant flow of water...what "water" and where?....then i have basic idea about vapor compression cycle....consider typical AC, initially it is OFF, now am turning it ON, i have set the temperature as 20 deg...what is happening actually after i set 20 deg,? how temperature is brought down to 20deg...PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS DOUBT... THANKS

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Your question is very vague: there are several types of constant flow systems, which can control temperature in several different ways:
1. By cycling the fan.
2. By controlling the amount of cooling done to the supply air.
3. By adding reheat.

Do you have a more specific description of the system you are dealing with?

i am new to HVAC, can you tell me the types of constant flow system and why they are classified like that?? and can you elaborate the temperature control in each ways!...THANK YOU SO MUCH...

srinaath said:
i am new to HVAC, can you tell me the types of constant flow system and why they are classified like that?? and can you elaborate the temperature control in each ways!...
I'm not sure what "classified" means...
1. Cycling is just what it means: the fan turns on and off based on a thermostat. Most residential systems work that way.
2. Controlling the amount of cooling done to the supply air is via cycling/modulating a refrigerant circuit or modulating a chilled water valve. That changes the supply air temperature. The downside to this is you don't get good dehumidification that way, so you need a separate method of dehumidification.
3. Reheat uses an electric or hot water heating coil to heat the air back up to maintain the temperature of the room after cooling it enough to ensure adequate dehumidification.

Likes srinaath
russ_watters said:
I'm not sure what "classified" means...
1. Cycling is just what it means: the fan turns on and off based on a thermostat. Most residential systems work that way.
2. Controlling the amount of cooling done to the supply air is via cycling/modulating a refrigerant circuit or modulating a chilled water valve. That changes the supply air temperature. The downside to this is you don't get good dehumidification that way, so you need a separate method of dehumidification.
3. Reheat uses an electric or hot water heating coil to heat the air back up to maintain the temperature of the room after cooling it enough to ensure adequate dehumidification.
1.How fans control the temperature because fans are just responsible for air flow ?? (sorry that i ask so basic questions!)
2."by modulating refrigerant circuit" can you please explain deeply.. I mean how we are modulating and how it is done?....."modulating a chilled water valve"-->is this other type of system...? AND HOW??

AND PLEASE EXPLAIN BELOW QUESTIONS:oldsmile:

(a)what is the basic layout of the air conditioning system
(b)what is constant flow system and variable flow system..
(c) what is the most commonly used temperature control method??
(d)temperature and humidity are inter related...so by controlling temperature i am controlling humidity right?
(e)how humidification/DE-humidification is done in typical AC??
(f)Should we also need to control pressure?

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG...THANKS:oldsmile::oldsmile:

srinaath said:
i am new to HVAC, can you tell me the types of constant flow system and why they are classified like that?? and can you elaborate the temperature control in each ways!...THANK YOU SO MUCH...
You may start with google. Search HVAC then have plenty of time to read, then come back to the forum, when you have done your part (study)

Ronie Bayron said:
You may start with google. Search HVAC then have plenty of time to read, then come back to the forum, when you have done your part (study)
ya i did some ground work by searching in google...but am not getting the clear picture...can you suggest me some books about basics of air conditioning

srinaath said:
ya i did some ground work by searching in google...but am not getting the clear picture...can you suggest me some books about basics of air conditioning
Click this HVAC

Ronie Bayron said:
Yes, this is getting to be a pretty huge information request. You're basically asking us to write a book for you!

Is there a specific reason or problem behind this question that might help us focus it a little better?

Amazon has a lot of books. Here's one that might help:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1619601990/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But again, without knowing the specific reason/focus of these questions, it is tough even to recommend the right book!

russ_watters said:
Yes, this is getting to be a pretty huge information request. You're basically asking us to write a book for you!

Is there a specific reason or problem behind this question that might help us focus it a little better?

Amazon has a lot of books. Here's one that might help:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1619601990/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But again, without knowing the specific reason/focus of these questions, it is tough even to recommend the right book!

hi, thanks for your advice , actually am an electrical engineer, recently working on HVAC systems... my role is to control the HVAC system.....i have read some basics about HVAC--> basic vapour compression cycle, types of AC present, how temperature is controlled by thermostat.
But i have doubt regarding humidification/de-humidification ( i have some knowledge about humdistat)..."In an ‘All-Air system’, the refrigerant or chilled water is used to cool and dehumidify the air in the air handling unit (AHU).(Source:http://www.electrical-knowhow.com/2012/03/in-previous-air-conditioning-system.html) i can't understand this statement...like how will refrigerant used to de humidify the air....is there any other method for humidify/de humidify (other than humidstat)......thanks in advance...

srinaath said:
hi, thanks for your advice , actually am an electrical engineer, recently working on HVAC systems... my role is to control the HVAC system...
That's a difficult/unfair position you have been put in. Designing the controls for an HVAC system is the job of a mechanical engineer. It will take years of study and experience to turn you from an electrical engineer into a functional mechanical engineer.
But i have doubt regarding humidification/de-humidification ( i have some knowledge about humdistat)..."In an ‘All-Air system’, the refrigerant or chilled water is used to cool and dehumidify the air in the air handling unit (AHU).(Source:http://www.electrical-knowhow.com/2012/03/in-previous-air-conditioning-system.html) i can't understand this statement...like how will refrigerant used to de humidify the air..
When air gets cold, the moisture in it condenses out. It's what happens on the outside of a cold drink. That's the sole method of dehumidification of virtually all standard/general purpose HVAC systems.
...is there any other method for humidify/de humidify (other than humidstat)...
A humidistat is a controller - it doesn't do anything besides turning the de-humidifier on and off or modulating it. It isn't a de-humidifier itself. About the only other method of dehumidification used is absorbing the moisture with a desiccant.

1. What is a constant flow system in air conditioning?

A constant flow system in air conditioning, also known as a constant volume system, is a type of HVAC system in which the air flow rate remains constant regardless of the cooling or heating demand. This means that the system delivers a fixed amount of air to each room, regardless of the temperature in that room.

2. How does a constant flow system work?

In a constant flow system, the air is cooled or heated in a central unit and then distributed through ducts to each room. The air flow rate is controlled by a fan and maintained at a constant speed. The temperature of the air can be adjusted by a thermostat, but the flow rate remains the same.

3. What are the benefits of a constant flow system?

A constant flow system offers several benefits, including consistent temperature control and improved indoor air quality. Since the air flow rate is constant, the temperature in each room is more stable and comfortable. Additionally, the constant flow helps to filter and circulate the air, reducing allergens and pollutants.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a constant flow system?

One potential drawback of a constant flow system is that it may not be as energy efficient as other types of HVAC systems. Since the air flow rate remains constant, the system may continue to cool or heat a room even when it is not necessary. This can lead to higher energy costs compared to systems with variable air flow rates.

5. Is a constant flow system the best choice for every building?

No, a constant flow system may not be the best choice for every building. It is most commonly used in commercial buildings or larger residential buildings where consistent temperature control and air circulation are important. For smaller residential buildings, a variable air flow system may be a more energy efficient option.