What is Embeddable In-Metal RFID and How Does It Work?

• Thread starter 40hrCaptain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rfid
In summary, the conversation discusses a new advancement in RFID technology called "embeddable in-metal RFID" that can penetrate metal and potentially solve a problem for the speaker. However, there is limited information available on this technology and the conversation seeks to understand how it works and its limitations compared to traditional RFID systems. A Google search yields 416,000 results for this topic.
40hrCaptain
I am new to RFID but relatively familiar with how it works and its limitations. However, I recently learned of an advancement in the tech known as embeddable in-metal RFID, which appears to be a newer evolution in the tech and a product offered by very few suppliers thus far. I believe this type of RFID may address a problem I've been trying to solve for some time - unfortunately there seems to be very little information available on the web.

So can anyone here explain this evolution in RFID tech to me? How exactly do these readers/tags penetrate metal? Is there a limit to the thickness of the metal material the tag or reader is embedded in? What are the drawbacks of this type of system vs the standard LF/HF systems that cannot send/receive signals through metal?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is "Embeddable in-metal RFID"?

"Embeddable in-metal RFID" refers to a type of RFID (radio-frequency identification) technology that is designed to be embedded within metal objects. This allows for the tracking and identification of metal objects, which was previously difficult with traditional RFID tags that do not work well when placed on or near metal surfaces.

2. How does "Embeddable in-metal RFID" work?

"Embeddable in-metal RFID" works by using a small chip and antenna that are encased in a protective material, such as ceramic or epoxy. The chip emits radio waves that can be detected by a reader, allowing for the identification and tracking of the metal object.

3. What are the benefits of using "Embeddable in-metal RFID"?

There are several benefits to using "Embeddable in-metal RFID", including improved durability and longevity compared to traditional RFID tags, as well as the ability to track metal objects in environments where traditional RFID tags may not work, such as high temperatures or harsh conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to "Embeddable in-metal RFID"?

While "Embeddable in-metal RFID" has many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. These include the higher cost of the technology compared to traditional RFID tags, as well as the need for specialized equipment and expertise to embed the tags into metal objects.

5. How is "Embeddable in-metal RFID" being used in scientific research?

"Embeddable in-metal RFID" is being used in a variety of scientific studies and experiments, particularly in fields such as materials science and engineering. It allows researchers to track and monitor the behavior and properties of metal objects in real time, providing valuable data for their studies.