How RFID Tags Work: Detailed Explanation for Physics Students

In summary, RFID tags use microcontrollers to send a signal that can be read by a reader. This signal is often used to identify objects, and can be used in a variety of applications.
Opus_723
I'm afraid my Google-fu is failing me. Try as I might, I can only find very basic descriptions online of how RFID tags (specifically passive ones) work. I'd like to actually know what the microcontroller in the tag does, and how it creates a signal the reader can pick up and decode. For example, many articles I've found say that the integrated circuit sends a signal by modulating the impedance of the tag antenna, but I'm interested in how it does so.

I'm a physics student, not an electrical engineer, so I would ideally like to see an explanation that is quite detailed, but hopefully keeps the jargon to a minimum. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

Likes Stephen Tashi
Engineering news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
I'm a physics student, not an electrical engineer, so I would ideally like to see an explanation that is quite detailed, but hopefully keeps the jargon to a minimum. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

I know nothing about RFID, but I can suggest how you might learn more. Since you're unlikely to find explanations written for physics students as such, you can pretend temporarily that you're interested in electronics; and since you are researching a system built of electronics products, rather than Google you might go straight to some highly relevant sites and browse within those sites - specifically, to web sites for companies which make such products & therefore have an interest in providing product info to first-time buyers/builders.

Electronics part makers typically provide various levels of explanation for their products, from high-level overviews ("What is a Q10Wabba Widget?" all the way down to "data sheets" that explain "typical applications" in quite some detail ("Here are some typical circuits for a Q10Wabba Widget"); somewhere in between you may find the sort of mid-level explanations you seek. So if you haven't already you might visit some manufacturing sites & poke around, e.g here is a company called IMPINJ that makes some variant called RAIN RFID; here's one of their overviews - https://www.impinj.com/about-rfid/how-does-rfid-work/ - and in the horizontal menu above the overview there are links to other high-level topics. Poke about and you'll surely find more fine-grained information directly related to products & applications.

You can also go a slightly more indirect route: Start with a distributor (e.g. Mouser or DigiKey); search for RFID, - e.g. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=rfid - and from there drill down to various products; such products will have data sheets and links to manufacturers; so you can find more manufacturer sites that way. It does take a bit of work, but is sometimes useful.

Also, now that I think about it, electrical engineering journals online will typically have white papers on this or that technology; I'm surprised Google wouldn't give you such hits straight away.

Likes davenn
Opus_723 said:
I'm afraid my Google-fu is failing me. Try as I might, I can only find very basic descriptions online of how RFID tags (specifically passive ones) work.
The Wikipedia article looks to have lots of good information. Have you already read through it and read some of the links at the end?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

1. How do RFID tags work?

RFID tags work by using radio frequency signals to communicate with a reader. The tag contains a small chip that stores information and an antenna that receives and transmits signals to the reader. When the tag comes in proximity to the reader, the radio waves from the reader power the tag, allowing it to transmit its information back to the reader.

2. What is the physics behind RFID technology?

RFID technology is based on electromagnetic waves and their ability to transmit energy wirelessly. The tag and reader both contain antennas that use the principle of electromagnetic induction to generate and receive radio waves. These radio waves carry energy that powers the tag and allows it to communicate with the reader.

3. How is the information stored on an RFID tag?

The information on an RFID tag is stored in the form of binary code, which is a series of 0s and 1s. The chip on the tag contains memory cells that can be programmed to store this code. When the tag is powered by the reader, it transmits this code back to the reader, which then interprets it as the information stored on the tag.

4. What is the difference between active and passive RFID tags?

Active RFID tags have their own power source, such as a battery, which allows them to transmit signals without relying on the reader's power. Passive RFID tags, on the other hand, do not have a power source and rely on the reader's radio waves to power them. This makes passive tags smaller and cheaper, but also limits their range and functionality compared to active tags.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using RFID technology?

While RFID technology has many benefits, such as improved efficiency and accuracy, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. One concern is privacy, as RFID tags can be used to track and collect data on individuals without their knowledge or consent. There are also concerns about the security of the information stored on RFID tags, as it can potentially be intercepted or manipulated by unauthorized parties.