What is Enthelpy Conceptually?

In summary: It is just H = U + PV, and Gibbs free energy is the energy that is left after the enthalpy is removed.
Cole
So I understand that enthalpy is energy. But what energy specifically? Is enthalpy heat energy? Is it the energy that bonds atoms together and that's why it can either be released or absorbed? Or is that what Gibbs free energy is?

I'm trying to make sense of the equation:

ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

Conceptually, how is enthalpy different from Gibbs free energy?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Enthalpy is just a convenient parameter to work with in solving certain kinds of problems. It doesn't have a fundamental significance (in my judgment) like internal energy has. It is just H = U + PV, and this group arises often in many problems and analyses. My advice is not to spend too much of your valuable time trying to assign a fundamental physical significance to H. After you get some experience solving thermo problems, you will become much more comfortable with enthalpy.

Likes Cole
Chestermiller said:
Enthalpy is just a convenient parameter to work with in solving certain kinds of problems. It doesn't have a fundamental significance (in my judgment) like internal energy has. It is just H = U + PV, and this group arises often in many problems and analyses. My advice is not to spend too much of your valuable time trying to assign a fundamental physical significance to H. After you get some experience solving thermo problems, you will become much more comfortable with enthalpy.
Fair enough. So then is there a way to conceptually explain ΔG=ΔH-TΔS? Or is that not really possible?

Cole said:
Fair enough. So then is there a way to conceptually explain ΔG=ΔH-TΔS? Or is that not really possible?
G is another useful function that comes into play in many types of problems. It too is difficult to assign physical significance to. The more fundamental thermodynamic properties, internal energy U and entropy S, can be assigned physical significance.

Chet

Likes Cole

What is Enthalpy Conceptually?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the total energy of a thermodynamic system, including its internal energy and the work required to change the system's volume at a constant pressure.

How is Enthalpy Measured?

Enthalpy is measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) in the SI system of units. In the imperial system, it is measured in BTUs (British Thermal Units).

What is the Difference between Enthalpy and Internal Energy?

Enthalpy includes both the internal energy of a system and the work required to change the system's volume at a constant pressure. Internal energy only refers to the energy contained within the system.

What is Enthalpy's Role in Chemical Reactions?

Enthalpy plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as it determines the amount of heat released or absorbed during a reaction. It can help predict the direction and extent of a reaction.

How is Enthalpy Related to Entropy?

Enthalpy and entropy are both thermodynamic properties that describe a system's energy. While enthalpy refers to the total energy, entropy measures the disorder or randomness of a system. Together, they help determine a system's stability and spontaneity.