What is enthelpy for combustion of glucose?

In summary, enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total energy of a system. Enthalpy of combustion refers to the energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion and is important in understanding the energy changes during the reaction. The enthalpy of combustion for glucose can be calculated by measuring the heat released and using the equation ΔH = q/m. The standard enthalpy of combustion for glucose is -2808 kJ/mol, based on the enthalpy change when one mole of glucose is completely combusted in a constant pressure environment with all reactants and products in their standard states.
i_hate_math
The enthalpies of formation with reference to (2) are: ∆(Glucose)= −1,268 /, ∆(Carbon Dioxide)= −393.5 ./, ∆(water)= −285.8 /.

How do I calculate the enthalpy for the combustion of 1 mole of glucose?

I know H = U + PV and ∆H = Q + Wother, but I am confused by all the chemistry involved!

Science news on Phys.org
Have you heard of Hess's law?

Likes i_hate_math
No I haven't. This was a question in a past exam that I'm stuck on, it could be unrelated. Was I right to consider it as a purely thermodynamic (2nd year physics level) problem?

This should be posted in a homework forum with an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that refers to the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the work required to change its volume or pressure.

2. What is enthalpy of combustion?

Enthalpy of combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion. It is typically measured in units of energy per mole of the substance.

3. Why is enthalpy important in the combustion of glucose?

Enthalpy is important in the combustion of glucose because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during the reaction. Glucose is a common source of energy for living organisms, so understanding its combustion process is crucial in many scientific fields.

4. How is enthalpy of combustion calculated?

The enthalpy of combustion for glucose can be calculated by measuring the amount of heat released during the reaction and using the equation ΔH = q/m, where ΔH is the enthalpy change, q is the heat released, and m is the mass of the substance.

5. What is the standard enthalpy of combustion for glucose?

The standard enthalpy of combustion for glucose is -2808 kJ/mol. This value is based on the enthalpy change that occurs when one mole of glucose is completely combusted in a constant pressure environment with all reactants and products in their standard states.