What is f(0) if f(x) is a rational number on [0,1]?

• Thread starter victoranderson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, you need to prove that if f is continuous and takes only rational number values for all x in [0, 1], then f is a constant function.
victoranderson
question.png

Please see attached.
The question is to determine f(0).

In my opinion the question wants me to find f(x)..

If f(x)=1, then

1. f:[0,1] -> R is continuous (do I need to prove?)

2. Obviously, f(1) = 1

3. f(x) is a rational number for all xε[0,1]

so f(0) = 1

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Editing because I think I misunderstood your question in my first reply.

victoranderson said:
View attachment 67599

Please see attached.
The question is to determine f(0).

In my opinion the question wants me to find f(x)..
Yes, that's reasonable. Technically you only need to find ##f(0)##, but enough information is given that you can find ##f(x)## for all ##x \in [0,1]##.

If f(x)=1, then
I take this to mean you want to set ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x \in [0,1]## and verify that it meets the conditions. And it does meet the conditions:

1. f:[0,1] -> R is continuous (do I need to prove?)
Assuming you know that a constant function is continuous, then you don't need to prove it again.

2. Obviously, f(1) = 1

3. f(x) is a rational number for all xε[0,1]

so f(0) = 1
Yes.

However, all you have done is to show that the constant function ##f(x) = 1## satisfies the conditions. Can you prove that it is the ONLY function that meets the conditions? How do I know there isn't some other function with ##f(0) = 0## which works?

Indeed, you can answer this problem without even stating the values of ##f(x)## for ##0 < x < 1##. The key facts you need are that ##f## is continuous and that ##f## takes on only rational values. To do this, suppose that ##f(0) \neq 1## and look for a contradiction. Hint: there's a fundamental theorem about continuous functions that makes this a one-liner.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
Editing because I think I misunderstood your question in my first reply.

Yes, that's reasonable. Technically you only need to find ##f(0)##, but enough information is given that you can find ##f(x)## for all ##x \in [0,1]##.

I take this to mean you want to set ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x \in [0,1]## and verify that it meets the conditions. And it does meet the conditions:

Assuming you know that a constant function is continuous, then you don't need to prove it again.

Yes.

However, all you have done is to show that the constant function ##f(x) = 1## satisfies the conditions. Can you prove that it is the ONLY function that meets the conditions? How do I know there isn't some other function with ##f(0) = 0## which works?

Indeed, you can answer this problem without even stating the values of ##f(x)## for ##0 < x < 1##. The key facts you need are that ##f## is continuous and that ##f## takes on only rational values. To do this, suppose that ##f(0) \neq 1## and look for a contradiction. Hint: there's a fundamental theorem about continuous functions that makes this a one-liner.

Thanks a lot.
I think I am done in this question but I really want to know more...

If I prove f(0)=1 by contradiction
which theorem can we use?
I think extreme values theorem , IVT are unrelated..

What you need to prove is that if f is continuous and f takes only rational number values for all x in [0, 1], then f is a constant function. Use IVT. If f(a) is NOT equal to f(b) for some a and b in [0,1]) then f takes on all values between f(a) and f(b). That is an interval and any interval contains irrational numbers.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is f(0) if f(x) is a rational number on [0,1]?

1. What does it mean for F(x) to be a rational number?

F(x) being a rational number means that it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. This can also be written as a fraction in the form of a/b, where a and b are integers.

2. How can I determine if F(x) is a rational number?

To determine if F(x) is a rational number, you can check if it can be written as a fraction. If it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, then it is a rational number.

3. Can F(x) be both a rational and an irrational number?

No, a number cannot be both rational and irrational. A number is either rational or irrational, but not both. If F(x) cannot be expressed as a fraction, then it is an irrational number.

4. How is F(x) related to the concept of a real number?

F(x) is a type of real number. Real numbers include rational and irrational numbers, and they can be represented on a number line. F(x) being a rational number means that it falls within the set of real numbers.

5. What are some examples of rational numbers?

Some examples of rational numbers include 1/2, 3/4, 2/3, -5/6, and 0.25. Any number that can be expressed as a fraction or a terminating decimal is a rational number.