What is music? is it 100% mathematic?

In summary: Music can be defined as organized sound, but it is also so much more than that. Music has a profound impact on our brains and bodies, increasing dopamine and endorphins and giving us a sense of wellbeing. This is because our brains connect music to language and voice, and the mathematical order in music can also play a role. Additionally, the steady beat in music may have to do with our perception of time. However, the boundaries between music and noise can be blurred, and it can be difficult to define what exactly constitutes music. Some composers, such as Xenakis, have even incorporated mathematical models into their music. Ultimately, music is a complex and multifaceted art form that continues to fascinate and challenge us.
Jarfi
I have been pondering what music actually is, why does a certain configuration of sounds increase dopamine/endorphin in our brain. What makes music feel good.

Is it their mathematical order in the sounds so they follow mathematical rules or equations?

Or is it something pshycological that our brain connects it to voice and languages, so we connect noises similar to spoken languages to wellbeing?

Since it has a steady beat does it have to do with measuring time?

I just don't get it why does music exist? is there any simple defenition of it.

I wanted to know what you tought, this isn't exactly physics, but technically everything in the universe is physics.

I also wanted to point out that this forum desperately needs a philosophy room i didn't find one.

Science news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
Ah great, I was going to post this question there.

I am a lazy person
This would not qualify for posting in Philosphy. There are two sets of rules for Philosophy that must be followed, they are stickied at the top of that forum, make sure you read both before attempting to post.

Harmonics in music pertain to physics, and it's all about sound waves. But, I went to party attended by a bunch of music instructors last night and that just makes it harder to define as one was talking about noise performance or noise music or something like that. So, I now officially have no idea where music begins and noise ends.

This question simply hearkens to the age old, "What is art?". It's the same thing of course.

My own definition would be that music is organized sound. I listen to quite a lot of ambient music, stuff that you would hardly consider to be as such. However it becomes rather obvious once one delves into those alternative roads that there is a rather similar level of depth in orchestration, structuring and composition for sound design as there is with tonal, orthodox instrumentation.

dimensional said:
My own definition would be that music is organized sound.

Indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is music?

Music is a form of expression that uses sound and rhythm to convey emotion and meaning. It is created through the organization of different elements, such as melody, harmony, rhythm, and dynamics.

2. Is music 100% mathematic?

No, music is not 100% mathematic. While certain aspects of music, such as rhythm and tempo, can be measured and represented mathematically, the creation and interpretation of music is largely subjective and influenced by cultural and personal factors.

3. How are mathematics and music related?

Although music is not purely mathematical, there are strong connections between the two. Music theory, which includes concepts such as scales, intervals, and chords, is based on mathematical principles. Additionally, mathematical concepts such as patterns and proportions are often found in musical compositions.

4. Can anyone learn to understand the math behind music?

Yes, anyone can learn to understand the math behind music. While some people may have a natural affinity for music and mathematics, with practice and knowledge, anyone can develop an understanding of the mathematical principles behind music.

5. Are there any benefits to understanding the math behind music?

Yes, understanding the math behind music can have several benefits. It can help with music composition and improvisation, as well as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, studies have shown that learning and playing music can improve cognitive abilities and academic performance in other subjects.