What is that indicator/math symbol?

• Thread starter Arup Biswas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary: Don't forget the Hebrew letter aleph (##\aleph##), as in ##\aleph_0, \aleph_1## and so on.In summary, Theta is an uppercase letter in the Greek alphabet, often used to represent angles or in mathematical equations. Its pronunciation has evolved over time and differs between modern and ancient Greek. It is frequently used in physics and mathematics, and is just one example of how different alphabets are often borrowed and incorporated into scientific notation. Other examples include the Cyrillic alphabet and Hebrew letter aleph.
Arup Biswas
Some sort of hazziness inside a circle ..name of that??

Attachments

• 20170811_225311%7E2.jpeg
    20170811_225311%7E2.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 490
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
And it's only made to let English native speakers look bad, as it is no "th" but originally pronounced as "teta", and of course with an "eh", not an "e". :-p

fresh_42 said:
And it's only made to let English native speakers look bad, as it is no "th" but pronounced as "teta", and of course with an "eh", not an "e". :-p

Err, what?

It is an uppercase theta; you are probably mores used to seeing a lowercase theta.

Drakkith said:
Err, what?
Ancient Greek: θῆτα thē̂ta [tʰɛ̂ːta]

fresh_42 said:
Ancient Greek: θῆτα thē̂ta [tʰɛ̂ːta]

Oh, you're just saying it was originally pronounced differently than we do now.

The Greek-Americans that I asked pronounce it "thita," rhyming with "pita" but enunciating the t.

Isberg and Resnick really confuses me [emoji24] He could use beta,gamma or anything, instead of this uppercase theta [emoji26]

As this is in the context of radioactivity, alpha beta or gamma would be a problematic choice, and you probably want to keep delta for delta-electrons as well. ##\theta## for angles is quite common,no idea why that text uses ##\Theta##.

Drakkith said:
Oh, you're just saying it was originally pronounced differently than we do now.
Yes, but whether one pronounces it in modern Greek, with an "[ i ]" or in ancient Greek with an "[ e ]", the "th" is wrong, as it is the Greek version of a "t" which is pronounced as a "t". Perhaps I should start and say the Steelers are from Pittsborough ...
Edit: I might have been wrong here, as the Greek have a sound [##t^h##] which is closer to "th" than to "t", something as in "theft". I had forgotten that there is also the ##\tau## for "t".
TeethWhitener said:
The Greek-Americans that I asked pronounce it "thita," rhyming with "pita" but enunciating the t.
Yes, but modern Greek is a bit different from the ancient language.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy
Arup Biswas said:
Isberg and Resnick really confuses me [emoji24] He could use beta,gamma or anything, instead of this uppercase theta [emoji26]
We usually loot every alphabet we can get a hand on ##a,b,c,\ldots , \alpha,\beta,\gamma,\ldots , \mathfrak{a},\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{h},\ldots, \mathbb{C},\mathbb{F},\mathbb{N},\ldots ,\mathcal{A},\mathcal{B},\mathcal{C},\ldots , \mathscr{A},\mathscr{B},\mathscr{C}##
that it makes me wonder why we don't use и , я , ч , etc.

fresh_42 said:
We usually loot every alphabet we can get a hand on ##a,b,c,\ldots , \alpha,\beta,\gamma,\ldots , \mathfrak{a},\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{h},\ldots, \mathbb{C},\mathbb{F},\mathbb{N},\ldots ,\mathcal{A},\mathcal{B},\mathcal{C},\ldots , \mathscr{A},\mathscr{B},\mathscr{C}##
that it makes me wonder why we don't use и , я , ч , etc.
Don't forget the Hebrew letter aleph (##\aleph##), as in ##\aleph_0, \aleph_1## and so on.

Arabic has some interesting letters. Too many important symbols have a wide variety of meanings

What is that indicator/math symbol?

The indicator/math symbol is a visual representation of a mathematical concept or operation. It is used to represent numbers, variables, and relationships between them.

What is the difference between an indicator and a math symbol?

An indicator is a graphical representation used to convey information or data, while a math symbol is a symbol used to represent a mathematical concept or operation.

What is the purpose of using indicators and math symbols in scientific research?

Indicators and math symbols are used in scientific research to represent and manipulate data, equations, and relationships between variables. They help scientists to communicate complex mathematical concepts and findings in a visual and concise manner.

How do I interpret a specific indicator/math symbol?

The interpretation of a specific indicator/math symbol depends on its context and the mathematical concept it represents. It is important to refer to the mathematical equation or concept it is used in and to consult with a mathematics expert if needed.

Can I use different indicators or math symbols to represent the same concept?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to represent a mathematical concept or operation. However, it is important to be consistent and to use commonly accepted symbols to avoid confusion and misinterpretation.