What is the acceleration of the sled?

In summary, the question involves a sled starting from rest at the top of a hill and sliding down with constant acceleration. It is given that after 2 seconds, the sled is 80 ft from the top, and after another 2 seconds it is 125 ft from the top. The acceleration of the sled is asked for, as well as the time it takes for the sled to go from the top to the 80 ft point. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations s=ut+½at^2 and v=u+at, filling in values for distance, time, and initial velocity, and solving for acceleration. However, there is a mistake in one of the equations provided in the attempt, which may affect the
won der

Homework Statement

A sled starts from rest at the top of a hill and slides down without constant acceleration. At same later time, it is 80 ft. from the top ; 2s after that it is 125 ft. from the top ; another 2s it is 180ft from the top.

a.) What is the acceleration of the sled?
b.) how long did it take to go from the top to the 80ft point?
The attempt at a solution
I
I solved for the a of the 2nd point
125ft=a(2s+4s)^2/2
125ft = a(6s)^2/2
125ft = a36s^2/2
125ft = a18s^2/2
125ft= a9s^2
13.8889ft/s^2 = a

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming "without constant acceleration" is actually "with constant acceleration".

I don't understand your working but it doesn't get you close to the real answer.

If you initially take the 80ft point as zero distance, zero seconds (s=0, t=0), you then have 2 equations you can fill in for s=ut+½at2

won der said:

Homework Statement

A sled starts from rest at the top of a hill and slides down without constant acceleration. At same later time, it is 80 ft. from the top ; 2s after that it is 125 ft. from the top ; another 2s it is 180ft from the top.

a.) What is the acceleration of the sled?
b.) how long did it take to go from the top to the 80ft point?
The attempt at a solution
I
I solved for the a of the 2nd point
125ft=a(2s+4s)^2/2 **
125ft = a(6s)^2/2
125ft = a36s^2/2
125ft = a18s^2/2 ***
125ft= a9s^2
13.8889ft/s^2 = a
Hi won der. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Can you explain how you got the equation I marked **
Looks like a mistake on line I marked ***

Are you sure you meant to write "without" constant acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in an object's velocity over a given period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the total change in velocity by the total time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the derivative of an object's velocity with respect to time.

4. How does force affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass, the smaller the acceleration.

5. What is the acceleration of a sled?

The acceleration of a sled depends on several factors, such as the force applied to it, the mass of the sled, and the friction between the sled and the surface it is on. To calculate the acceleration of a sled, we would need to know these factors and apply the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.