What is the acceleration of the train.

In summary: So for people who don't know how to solve the problem but just read your thread, what's the answer?In summary, the problem involves a train moving towards a stationary car with a known speed and distance between them. The goal is to find the constant acceleration of the train that will prevent a collision. By applying the equation Vfinal ^2 = v initial ^ 2 + 2*acceleration*(x final - x initial), and solving for a, we get an acceleration of -5000 km/h^2. This indicates that the train must decelerate at a rate of 5000 km/h per second in order to stop before reaching the car. The problem asks for the specific value of acceleration at the moment the
astrololo

Homework Statement

A train is going towards a stationary car at a speed of 50 km/h. There is a distance of 250 m between the train and the car. What must be the acceleration (which is constant) of the train so that the train won't collide with the car ?

Initial position of train = 0

final position = 0,250 km - x

Speed= 50 km/h

Distance between car and train = 0,250 km[/B]

Homework Equations

Vfinal ^2 = v initial ^ 2 + 2*acceleration*(x final - x initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = 50^2 + 2 * a * ((0,250-x)-0)

0=2500 + 2a(0,250-x)

I'm kinda stuck :/[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What's "vfinal?"

Bystander said:
What's "vfinal?"
It's your final speed.

"You" are the train. What is "vfinal?"

Bystander said:
"You" are the train. What is "vfinal?"
Well it's 0 km/h because I need to stop before 250 m or else I'm going to destory the car.

You're given velocity in km/h and distance in meters. Do you need to do any conversions?

Bystander said:
You're given velocity in km/h and distance in meters. Do you need to do any conversions?
Yes, I converted my 250 m to km which is 250 m * 1 km / 1000 m =0,250 km

Okay, European convention. What's "x?"

Bystander said:
Okay, European convention. What's "x?"
It's the position where I'll stop the train before it touches the car.

You've a quarter kilometer range. Does the problem statement ask for the general solution? Or, a specific value?

Bystander said:
You've a quarter kilometer range. Does the problem statement ask for the general solution? Or, a specific value?
It's asking for a specific value. I could take any value of x where the train would stop before reaching the car, but I think we're really asking for a specific value where the train ALMOST reaches the car. So we're really asking for the "maximum" value of x I think.

astrololo said:

0=2500 + 2a(0,250-x)

What is x here?
x final - x initial is given as 250 m in the problem statement so there's no need to have that x there.
So you have one equation with one unknown, you can solve for a. Make sure you include the correct units for your answer.

EDIT: Oh, I see they want the answer in terms of x.

astrololo said:
So we're really asking for the "maximum" value of x I think.
So do I. You've picked an "awkward" unit for "a" as your work is currently set up. Might be best to consider billy joule's recommendation.

Bystander said:
So do I. You've picked an "awkward" unit for "a" as your work is currently set up. Might be best to consider billy joule's recommendation.
Ok, so I get :

0=2500 + 2ax

-2500=2ax

-1250/x=a

That's not consistent with the use of x in the OP:

In words, x is the distance from the car to the where the train stops, so the maximum value of x is 250m, which corresponds to an infinite acceleration ie the train stops instantaneously. (x final position = 0.250 km - x = 0) Not likely the answer they're looking for.

For these sorts of problems it's usually safe to assume they want the answer when x = 0. That is, the train comes to a stop 'touching' the car. That corresponds to the minimum acceleration to avoid a crash.

Note that x is used three times with three different meanings:

x final position = 250m - x'
xinitial position = 0

Where x' is the final train to car distance

billy_joule said:
Note that x is used three times with three different meanings:

x final position = 250m - x'
xinitial position = 0

Where x' is the final train to car distance
So I was right in writing it this way ?

Which way?

Where exactly does the problem statement end and your work begin?

Is this part of the problem statement or your own work?
astrololo said:
Initial position of train = 0

If that's your own work, there was no need to introduce the additional variable x' that describes the final train-car distance. Just solve assuming the train comes to a stop at the car.
If it is part of the problem statement and they want an answer in terms of x' then your attempt in the OP is very close, just rearrange for a.

billy_joule said:
Which way?

Is this part of the problem statement or your own work?If that's your own work, there was no need to introduce the additional variable x' that describes the final train-car distance. Just solve assuming the train comes to a stop at the car.
If it is part of the problem statement and they want an answer in terms of x' then your attempt in the OP is very close, just rearrange for a.
no, that's my attempt at the problem. The problem doesn't provide this. I did it.

billy_joule said:
Which way?

Is this part of the problem statement or your own work?If that's your own work, there was no need to introduce the additional variable x' that describes the final train-car distance. Just solve assuming the train comes to a stop at the car.
You mean this : 0=2500+2a 0,250 ? I obtain -5000 of acceleration

but what are the units?

billy_joule said:
but what are the units?
0 km/h = 50 km/ h ^2 + 2 a (0,250 km - 0 km)

Correct. So what are the units of your answer?

billy_joule said:
wait are u telling me that my acceleration units are km/h^2 ?

billy_joule said:
Ok yeah, it's working now ! I got the answer ! The problem really was asking to find the acceleration at moment the train was going to percute the car. In other words, they wanted the maximum value for x and not any x before 250 m.

Great, Good work.

Likes Bystander and astrololo

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In other words, it measures how quickly the object's speed is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

4. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

The acceleration of an object can affect its motion in different ways. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will cause the object to speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, it will cause the object to change direction.