What is the angle of the velocity vector of a released package?

In summary, an airplane with a speed of 96.8 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 74.0 ° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 906 m, the pilot releases a package. The distance along the ground from the point of release to where the package hits the earth is 695.78m. The angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact is 53.43 °.
mac227

Homework Statement

An airplane with a speed of 96.8 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 74.0 ° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 906 m, the pilot releases a package. (a) Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth. (b) Relative to the ground, determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for part a. The distance x is 695.78m

I now need to determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact. I'm having trouble with this part, here is what I have so far:
v=96.8
voy=0
ay=9.8
vy=?
t=
y=906
theta=?

v2y = voy + 2(ay)y

vy=133.24 m/s

theta=sin-1 (vy/v)

v= square root of vx2 + vy2 vox=vx vx=26.68

v= 165.9

so

theta = 53.43 this answer is wrong I am not sure where I went wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I used v = ds/dt, tan(theta) = v_y / v_x. I didn't realize that the velocity would still be 96.8 which makes it a little simpler.

Looking at what you have done, why does V0y = 0?

vertigo said:
I used v = ds/dt, tan(theta) = v_y / v_x. I didn't realize that the velocity would still be 96.8 which makes it a little simpler.

Looking at what you have done, why does V0y = 0?

because i was calculating the velocity in the y direction of the package being dropped. WHen the plane reaches 906m it drops a package. So that packages initial velocity is 0. voy=0

So to get theta you used tan(theta) = v_y / v_x ?

did you get 26.68 for vx and how would you go about calculating vy? is this where you use v = ds/dt? what does ds stand for? dt is distance*time correct?

When the plane reaches 906m it drops a package. So that packages initial velocity is 0.

It is 0 relative to the plane, but the plane was not stationary at the time.

Velocity is the derivative of displacement, is what v = ds/dt means. Using calculus, I got a formula for velocity versus time. You wouldn't need to do this though, I only suggested it because it is a more conceptual method (using calculus).

Try to solve it now (using any method) with the correct initial velocity.

Oh sorry, the velocity varies in magnitude after the package is dropped. For some reason I thought it did not.

So, how to solve this? One needs two of v_x, v_y, v. V_x is easy to calculate, v_y is easier to calculate than v I think. I would try to do that.

solve for the vy going up or down?

v_x is the same as v_ox because a_x = 0 correct?

v_x = 26.68

v_y= 0 at peak... calculate v_y coming down??

Related to What is the angle of the velocity vector of a released package?

What is the angle of the velocity vector?

The angle of the velocity vector is the measurement of the direction in which an object is moving in relation to a fixed reference point. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

How is the angle of the velocity vector calculated?

The angle of the velocity vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. The formula is tan(theta) = v_y/v_x, where v_y is the vertical component of the velocity and v_x is the horizontal component of the velocity.

What is the significance of the angle of the velocity vector?

The angle of the velocity vector is important because it determines the trajectory of an object's motion. It also provides information about the direction and speed of the object's movement.

Can the angle of the velocity vector change?

Yes, the angle of the velocity vector can change if there is a change in the object's speed or direction of motion. This can occur due to external forces acting on the object, such as gravity or friction.

How does the angle of the velocity vector relate to the acceleration of an object?

The angle of the velocity vector and the acceleration of an object are related through the concept of centripetal acceleration. In circular motion, the acceleration vector is always perpendicular to the velocity vector and points towards the center of the circle.