What is the average of fall distances

In summary, the problem discussed in Griffiths 2nd Quantum Mechanics involves dropping a rock off a cliff and taking a million photographs at random intervals to measure the distance traveled. The question is then posed about finding the average distance traveled, which can be solved using two different methods. The first method involves using the probability function p(x) and solving for the average height using an integral. The second method involves using the constant acceleration due to gravity and integrating the function for average distance traveled. The approach to solving this problem may be confusing due to the wording, but by breaking down the problem and manipulating each piece mathematically, it can be solved effectively.
Ilikechiken
[no template, as this post was moved from here from the Quantum Mechanics forum]

In griffiths 2nd quantum mechnics,

problem : Suppose I drop a rock off a cliff of height h. As if falls, I snap a million photographs, at random intervals. On each picture I measure the distance the rock has fallen.

Question : What is the average of all these distances? That is to say, what is the time average of the distance traveled?

I know p(x) is 1/2(hX)^(1/2) and can solve the problem like : Integral(from 0 to h)x dx/2(hX)^(1/2)

other method is : Integral(from 0 to T) x dt/T

but I don't know how it's possible. that means p(t) = 1/T .. but T is constant{ (2h/g)^1/2}

and I don't know meaning of dt/T

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I would do that- the constant acceleration due to gravity is -g. The velocity, at time t isv(t)= -gt+ v0. Since the rock was "dropped", rather than thrown up or down, v0= 0 and v(t)= -gt. Then the distance traveled in t seconds is [itex]s(t)= -(g/2)t^2+ h[/itex]. The rock will hit the bottom when [itex]s(t)= -(g/2)t^2+ h= 0[/itex] so when [itex]t= \sqrt{2h/g}[/itex]. The average of a function, f(t), for t between a and b, is [itex]\int f(t)dt/(b- a)[/itex] so the average height, for t between 0 and [itex]\sqrt{2h/g}[/itex] is [tex]\frac{\int_0^{\sqrt{2h/g}}( -(g/2)t^2+ h) dt}{\sqrt{2h/g}}[/tex]

I don't understand your notation - I think you mix different things here. p(t) in the first approach looks like the position, while in the second approach it seems to be a probability to take a picture at a specific time. But then the integral should have the position as function of time, not x.

I think the problem and his approach was worded so strangely. I had to just close the book and think about it by myself, and figure out how I'd define each piece of the problem mathematically. Then how I could manipulate each piece in order to integrate it. Turned out it was pretty much identical.

Sorry I necro'd this thread. I just had to see if anyone else struggled with this example. Then I wanted to say how I approached the problem so anyone else in the future can maybe try the same type of thing if they were also confused.

1. What is the definition of "fall distance"?

Fall distance refers to the vertical distance that an object or person falls from a certain height. It is typically measured in feet or meters.

2. How is the average of fall distances calculated?

The average of fall distances is calculated by taking the sum of all fall distances and dividing it by the total number of falls. This gives an overall average distance that an object or person falls.

3. What factors can affect the average of fall distances?

The average of fall distances can be affected by various factors such as the height from which the object or person falls, the weight and size of the object or person, and external forces such as wind or air resistance.

4. Is there a standard average fall distance?

No, there is no standard average fall distance as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, there are safety standards and regulations in place for specific industries or activities that involve falling, such as construction or bungee jumping.

5. Why is knowing the average of fall distances important?

Knowing the average of fall distances is important for risk assessment and safety measures. It helps in determining the appropriate equipment and procedures to prevent injuries or fatalities from falls, especially in high-risk environments.