What is the average velocity for a bicycle's trip?

In summary, to find the average velocity for the entire trip, you need to add the x and y components of the three separate distances and times, then divide by the total time. The magnitude and direction can be found by resolving the vectors into their x,y components and determining the total displacement. The formula for average velocity is |D|/total time, where |D| is the magnitude of displacement.
tag16

Homework Statement

A bicycle travels 3.2 km due east in 0.10 h, then 4.7 km at 15.0° east of north in 0.14 h, and finally another 3.2 km due east in 0.10 h to reach its destination. The time lost in turning is negligible. What is the average velocity for the entire trip?
I need to find the magnitude and direction in degrees

Homework Equations

average velocity= rf-ri/t1-t2 but there is 3 different times and distances not two...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do vector addition A+B and B+C then add them together but that didn't work to well.

Physics news on Phys.org
tag16 said:

Homework Statement

A bicycle travels 3.2 km due east in 0.10 h, then 4.7 km at 15.0° east of north in 0.14 h, and finally another 3.2 km due east in 0.10 h to reach its destination. The time lost in turning is negligible. What is the average velocity for the entire trip?
I need to find the magnitude and direction in degrees

Homework Equations

average velocity= rf-ri/t1-t2 but there is 3 different times and distances not two...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do vector addition A+B and B+C then add them together but that didn't work to well.

You need to resolve the vectors into their x,y components, then determine the total displacement. That will yield your direction.

For average V = |D|/Total time.

Where |D| is the magnitude of your Displacement determined above, where

D = A + B + C

I found the initial velocity for x and y by using the formulas 4.7cos(15.0)= 4.539
4.7sin(15.0)= 1.216
delta t=0.10+0.14
Then I found the x and y components by doing: delta rx= vix(delta t)+0= 1.089
delta ry= viy (delta t)-1/2g(delta t)^2=-1.136
Then I added A+B+C for x and y: x=3.2+1.089+3.2=7.48
y=0+.0096+0
Then added them and took the square root. Then divided that number by the total time. Didn't workout to well...

Ok. Try this way.

A = 3.2 i + 0 j

B = 4.7*Sin15 i + 4.7*Cos15 j

C = 3.2 i + 0 j

Then add them together

D = (6.4 + 4.7*sin15) i + 4.7cos 15 j

Your Δt is (.1 + .14 + .1)

Your answer will be in km/h

Related to What is the average velocity for a bicycle's trip?

1. What is the average velocity of a bicycle?

The average velocity of a bicycle refers to the average speed and direction at which the bicycle moves over a certain distance. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is the average velocity of a bicycle calculated?

The average velocity of a bicycle is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the bicycle by the total time it took to cover that distance. For example, if a bicycle traveled 10 kilometers in 1 hour, its average velocity would be 10 km/h.

3. Does the average velocity of a bicycle change?

Yes, the average velocity of a bicycle can change depending on factors such as terrain, wind resistance, and the strength and speed of the cyclist. It can also change over time as the cyclist speeds up or slows down.

4. How does average velocity differ from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall speed and direction of a moving object over a certain distance, while instantaneous velocity refers to the speed and direction of the object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous velocity only looks at a single point.

5. Why is the average velocity of a bicycle important?

The average velocity of a bicycle is important in understanding the performance and capabilities of the bicycle and the cyclist. It can also help in making predictions and calculations for future rides or races. Additionally, tracking changes in average velocity can be useful for training and improving cycling skills.