What is the balanced equation and kcal/gram for propanol?

• Thread starter Tak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation is about finding a balanced equation for propanol and discussing its use as a biofuel. There is confusion about the difference between propanal and propanol, and the participants are trying to determine the correct formula for propanol. They also mention that in order to start a fire, fuel and something else is needed.
Tak

Homework Statement

I am trying to find a balanced equation for Propanol, and in addition - what is the Kcal/gram of Protonal

Homework Equations

I think I'm starting with CH3 CH2 CH2 OH (left side) and CO2 H20 (right side)

The Attempt at a Solution

CH3CH2CH2 OH to 6CO2 2H20 I'm not sure if that balances the equation or not. Additionally I have been trying to find information on Propanal being used as a bio fuel but all the sites I am able to pull up only talk about methanol and ethanol - what am I missing?

Thanks allot

Physics news on Phys.org
When you balance a formula, the same number of atoms of each species must be balanced. I notice that you have

[tex]CH_3-CH_2-CH_2-OH \rightarrow\ 6CO_2 + 2H_2O[/tex]

Is this balanced?

OK, so if I count up the atoms in the original formula - CH3 CH2 CH2 OH (left side) and CO2 H20 (right side)

C has 3 on the right 1 on the left
H has 8 on the right 2 on the left
O has 1 on the right 3 on the left

Then to balance is it CH3 CH2 CH2 2OH - 2CO2 4H20 ?

Tak said:
Then to balance is it [tex]CH_3-CH_2-CH_2-2OH \rightarrow\ 2CO_2 + 4H_2O[/tex] ?

It should be: [tex]CH_3-CH_2-CH_2-OH \rightarrow\ 2CO_2 + 4H_2O[/tex]
(but something(s) is wrong about it)

The way I see it there are three carbons on the left and 2 on the right.
There are 8 hydrogens on the left and 8 on the right.
There is one oxygen on the left and 8 on the right.

Is this balanced?

Last edited:
Propanal / Propanol ?

They are not the same thing, which one is it ?

One is [tex]C_{3}H_{8}O[/tex] propanol (has 2 forms, propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol )

The other is [tex]C_{3}H_{6}O[/tex] propanal

Before you even start balancing you need to know which chemical you actualy mean. From contact of burning of fuels I assume it is propanol and propan-1-ol at that.

P.S. What else is needed to make fire ... fuel + ?

Last edited:

Related to What is the balanced equation and kcal/gram for propanol?

1. What is the molecular formula for propanal?

The molecular formula for propanal is C3H6O.

2. How is propanal different from propane and propene?

Propanal (also known as propionaldehyde) is an aldehyde compound with a carbonyl group, while propane and propene are both hydrocarbons without a carbonyl group. Additionally, propanal has a shorter carbon chain compared to propane and propene.

3. How is propanal used in industry or research?

Propanal is used as a starting material for the production of other chemicals, such as propionic acid and n-propanol. It is also used in the production of plastics, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides. In research, it can be used as a solvent or reagent in various experiments.

4. Is propanal dangerous or toxic?

Propanal can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is flammable and can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. In high concentrations, it can also be harmful if ingested. It is important to follow safety protocols when handling propanal.

5. How do I calculate the molecular weight of propanal?

To calculate the molecular weight of propanal, you will need to know the atomic weight of each element (C = 12.01, H = 1.008, O = 16.00). Multiply the atomic weight of each element by the number of atoms present in the molecule (C3H6O). Then, add the results together to get the molecular weight, which is 58.08 g/mol for propanal.