What Is the Bandwidth of a 1kHz Modulated 146.52MHz Carrier Using Carson's Rule?

In summary, the conversation was about a communication question involving a 1kHz sinusoidal frequency modulating a carrier at 146.52MHz with a peak deviation of 5kHz. The FM modulation index and Carson's rule were mentioned as tools for evaluating the exact magnitude spectra and approximate bandwidth of the FM signal. The resulting bandwidth was determined to be 16kHz, and further confirmation was requested.
Obama_US
Urgent...Communication Question

Homework Statement

A 1kHz sinusoidal frequency modulates a carrier at 146.52MHz with a peak deviation of 5kHz.Evaluate the exact magnitude spectra of FM signal if Ec=1. Sketch your result. Using carson's rule, evaluate the approximate bandwidth of the FM signal, and see if it is a resonable number when compared with your spectral plot.

Homework Equations

FM modulation index = deviation divide by frequency of the intelligence (modulating) signal

Carson rules approximate equivalent to 2(deviation(max) + frequency of the intelligence (modulating) signal(max) )

The Attempt at a Solution

the BW i get is 16kHz ...is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Please help me check is that the bandwidth is 16kHz...thanks...cause i not so sure is that correct or not

I would like to clarify that the question is not urgent in nature and can be answered in a timely manner. Urgent communication should be reserved for time-sensitive matters that require immediate attention.

Regarding the question, your calculation of the bandwidth using Carson's rule appears to be correct. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and comparing them with the spectral plot to ensure accuracy. It is also important to note that Carson's rule provides an approximation and may not give an exact value.

In terms of the magnitude spectra of the FM signal, it would depend on the specific equation used to calculate it. I would recommend consulting with your textbook or instructor for the appropriate equation to use.

Overall, it is important to check the accuracy of your calculations and compare them with the spectral plot to ensure that the results are reasonable. If there are any discrepancies, it would be helpful to double-check the equations and assumptions used in the calculations.

Related to What Is the Bandwidth of a 1kHz Modulated 146.52MHz Carrier Using Carson's Rule?

1. What is urgent communication?

Urgent communication refers to any type of message or information that requires immediate attention and action. It can be used in various contexts, such as in emergency situations, business dealings, or personal relationships.

2. Why is urgent communication important?

Urgent communication is important because it helps to ensure that critical information is conveyed and acted upon in a timely manner. In emergency situations, it can save lives, and in business, it can prevent financial losses or missed opportunities.

3. What are some examples of urgent communication?

Some examples of urgent communication include emergency alerts, urgent business requests or deadlines, urgent medical notifications, and urgent communication from loved ones in distress.

4. How is urgent communication different from regular communication?

Urgent communication differs from regular communication in that it requires immediate attention and response. It often has a sense of urgency and importance attached to it, and the consequences of not addressing it promptly can be significant.

5. How can one effectively communicate urgent messages?

To effectively communicate urgent messages, it is important to use clear and concise language, provide specific details and instructions, and use the appropriate channels for communication (e.g. phone call, text message, email). It is also crucial to follow up and confirm that the message has been received and understood.