What is the Behavior of Particle Distribution Near Maximum in Thermal Physics?

In summary, the problem involves a box of volume V divided into two equal parts, with the left side containing (Na/2)+k particles and the right side containing (Na/2)-k particles. The goal is to show that near the maximum where n = Na/2, the behavior is gaussian (quadratic in k). The approach involves finding the partition function for an ideal gas and using it to calculate the total partition function for the box. This results in a quadratic equation. The question of whether to use the binomial distribution or gaussian distribution is unclear without further information.
Gungator

Homework Statement

There is a box of volume V that is divided into two equal parts: Left side = V/2 = right side.
The problem is:
Assume that there are n = (Na/2) + k particles in the left hand partition where k is a small integer ( k << Na). Show that the behavior near the maximum where n = Na/2 is gaussian (i.e., quadratic in k).

Homework Equations

Na = 6.022x1023

This is what I don't know. I don't know if I'm supposed to use the binomial distribution or the gaussian(normal) distribution.

I'm in Thermal Physics because statistics was not a pre-req but we're using a lot of statistics and I've never had a course on it. So if anyone could help point me in the right direction of how to go about showing this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like information is missing. I'm assuming that the particles in the box are ideal gas particles? If so I think you need to find the partition function. To give you a hint the partition function for an ideal gas is found using an integral (wikipedia it and hopefully you might have seen it before). If there are (Na/2)+k in the left hand part then there are (Na/2)-k in the right hand part. Each partition function is independent so if you found the partition function for either side, to get the total partition function for the whole box you could just multiply the two together. I haven't worked through it but I can see ((Na/2)+k)((Na/2)-k) is going to give you a quadratic.

Related to What is the Behavior of Particle Distribution Near Maximum in Thermal Physics?

1. What is thermal physics distribution?

Thermal physics distribution is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior and properties of matter at the microscopic level, specifically in relation to temperature and energy. It is concerned with the distribution of thermal energy among the particles of a system and how this energy affects their motion and interactions.

2. What are the main principles of thermal physics distribution?

The main principles of thermal physics distribution include the laws of thermodynamics, which describe the relationship between energy, heat, and work, as well as statistical mechanics, which uses statistical methods to analyze the behavior of large systems of particles.

3. How is thermal physics distribution applied in real-world situations?

Thermal physics distribution has many practical applications, such as in the design of efficient heat engines, refrigeration systems, and thermal insulation. It is also used in fields such as materials science, astrophysics, and environmental science to understand the behavior of matter at different temperatures and energy levels.

4. What are some common examples of thermal physics distribution in everyday life?

Some common examples of thermal physics distribution in everyday life include the heating and cooling of buildings, the operation of household appliances such as refrigerators and ovens, and the functioning of engines in cars and other vehicles.

5. How does thermal physics distribution relate to other branches of physics?

Thermal physics distribution is closely related to other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It also has connections to fields like chemistry, engineering, and astronomy, as all of these disciplines involve the study of energy and matter at different scales and temperatures.