What is the best book for learning functional calculus for physicists?

In summary: I recommend also some of the books on the Cambridge Mathematical Library.In summary, Dewitt's Functional Integration is a good book to start with if you want to learn more about the mathematics behind functional calculus. If you want a book that starts from scratch, then you should read An Introduction to Variational Calculus by Bernard Darcogona.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
Hi, I'm looking for a book that explains more deeply (and a little bit more formal) the functional calculus than the typical introductions that I find in QFT books (like Peskin or Hatfield). Is there any good book for physicists to learn the mathematics behind functional calculus?

Thanks

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
How about Dewitt's Functional Integration.

I must confess that I haven't read this book yet, but looks like a good place to start.

Likes Demystifier
Ok, thanks, although it's not quite what I was looking for, I'm more interested in a book that starts without assuming any functional knowledge and starts constructing what a functional is, it's derivatives, functional equations etc...

So perhaps you need a book in Calculus of Variations?

I prefer rigorous maths (when possible), so my recommendations will be as such.

Yes, if the topic is discussed in those books. I also like mathematical rigour, although I'm not a mathematician and I usually look for a trade-off between rigour and not have to read 20 books before to understand the first statement :D.

Gaussian97 said:
Yes, if the topic is discussed in those books. I also like mathematical rigour, although I'm not a mathematician and I usually look for a trade-off between rigour and not have to read 20 books before to understand the first statement :D.
Well if the topic is so advanced then perhaps those 20 books are in order... :oldbiggrin:

Anyway, a good place to start is An Introduction to Variational Calculus by Bernard Darcogona (google will correct my spelling). I read through chapters 1-4 didn't finish it though.

Mind you, that you need to know before that Hilbert spaces and intro to Functional Analysis.

You know all those spaces of ##L^p## etc.

The classic still is Hilbert and Courant vol. I (not the modenized single-volume rewriting of it, which destroys the charm of the original at least somewhat).

vanhees71 said:
The classic still is Hilbert and Courant vol. I (not the modenized single-volume rewriting of it, which destroys the charm of the original at least somewhat).
yes, also that book I never finished reading.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Functional Calculus?

Functional Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions and their properties. It involves the use of mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and manipulate functions in order to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is Functional Calculus different from traditional Calculus?

Traditional Calculus focuses on the study of single-variable functions, while Functional Calculus deals with functions of multiple variables. In addition, Functional Calculus also involves the use of operators and functionals, which are not typically studied in traditional Calculus.

3. What are some applications of Functional Calculus?

Functional Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving systems of differential equations, optimization, and control theory, among others.

4. What are some key concepts in Functional Calculus?

Some key concepts in Functional Calculus include functional derivatives, functional integrals, and the Euler-Lagrange equation. These concepts are used to study the behavior of functions and their transformations.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning Functional Calculus?

Some recommended resources for learning Functional Calculus include textbooks such as "Functional Calculus" by John von Neumann and "Functional Analysis" by Walter Rudin. Online resources such as lectures and tutorials on websites like Khan Academy and Coursera can also be helpful for understanding the basics of Functional Calculus.