What is the best shaving cream for a smooth and easy shave?

• Thread starter Frame Dragger
  • Start date
In summary: A can of shaving cream lasts me forever. The can gets old and rusty and still has a lot left in it. I usually only get a new can because I get tired of having rust on my hands from handling the...
Frame Dragger
I was perusing the "beard and shaving" thread, and I tried one of the products mentioned: Mitchell's Wool Fat. I've used a LOT of shaving creams, and a few soaps, but this simple tallow and lanolin formulation from merry old England has given the smoothest, and easiest shave of my life.

I'm half Greek, so this is a big deal to me. :biggrin:

Anyway, if you don't have a badger-bristle brush, and some sweet sweet Wool Fat (classy name, right? :wink:) you are cheating your face.

Closest shave of my life, with one pass, period and my face is so... soft. I should add, this soap does go for about 30 bucks a puck (60 or so with the dish), but that lasts FOREVER, and given the price of canned creams and gels it's worth it. A decent brush shouldn't set you back more than 30-50 USD. This is an investment in your face, and comfort...

Did I mention that it smells lovely as well? Anyway, obviously if you're vegan, this is not for you, but otherwise give this sucker a try!

I am not endorsing this beyond my personal experience, but I can see how this has survived since 1893!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about the smell? I don't associate tallow and lanolin with "lovely".

lisab said:
Are you sure about the smell? I don't associate tallow and lanolin with "lovely".

Tell me about it, I've had the joy of grooming raw wool so I know what you mean. This has a very mild perfume, and no "musky animal" smell at all. Technically this is Tallowate, which is processed Tallow with alkalai, thus killing any odor. You can imagine how nice the lanolin is on the face however, quite soothing. I'm not a fan of perfumed soaps in general, but stinky isn't my bag either. This is FAR less perfumed that anything coming out of a can, and there is no nasty aroma.

The package does say, "No animal suffered in the making of this product" however this is a product of the UK, and I don't know what laws apply to labeling there. It's tallow, so I assume they don't mean no animal died. No testing, at least, is one up on Gillette.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
I found the stuff on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PKEVE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What has me perplexed is the section, "People who bought this item also bought..." The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly? What's the connection there :confused:?

*baffled* I have no idea... but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that association! :rofl:

lanolin has hardly any smell to me. La Lueur Oil and Lanolin Hydrous are my two favorite emollients.

lisab said:
I found the stuff on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PKEVE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What has me perplexed is the section, "People who bought this item also bought..." The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly? What's the connection there :confused:?

This is it actually, and at a much better price than Amazon...

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.p..._id=64&zenid=c77112befc2252be3f6bed22ed23942f

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65

I have noticed a lot of people using this lately but I missed that WCS has it, and at a very good price. I wish I knew because I just ordered a new brush and some soaps from England but I would have placed the order from WCS for the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap.

Born2bwire said:
This is it actually, and at a much better price than Amazon...

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.p..._id=64&zenid=c77112befc2252be3f6bed22ed23942f

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65

I have noticed a lot of people using this lately but I missed that WCS has it, and at a very good price. I wish I knew because I just ordered a new brush and some soaps from England but I would have placed the order from WCS for the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap.

amazon's is about 1/3 the price of that

Proton Soup said:
amazon's is about 1/3 the price of that

That wasn't the shaving soap. The shaving soap was $20 on Amazon for the refill and $60 for the soap and ceramic bowl.

Born2bwire said:
and ceramic bowl.

Ah, that would be the "grail" part.

Ivan Seeking said:
Ah, that would be the "grail" part.

Bingo!

Frame Dragger said:
Bingo!

Congratulations, you win a name crosser!

A can of shaving cream lasts me forever. The can gets old and rusty and still has a lot left in it. I usually only get a new can because I get tired of having rust on my hands from handling the can.

1. What is "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL"?

"For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" is a new shaving product that claims to provide a close and comfortable shave for all skin types.

2. How is "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" different from other shaving products?

"For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" is different because it is specifically designed to work for all skin types, including sensitive skin. It also contains natural ingredients and is free of harsh chemicals, making it a safer and more eco-friendly option.

3. What ingredients are in "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL"?

The ingredients in "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" include a blend of natural oils, such as coconut oil and jojoba oil, as well as aloe vera and shea butter. These ingredients work together to provide a smooth and moisturizing shave.

4. Does "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" have any side effects?

As with any new product, it is important to do a patch test before using "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" to ensure there are no adverse reactions. Some people may experience slight irritation due to allergies or sensitivity to certain ingredients, but overall there are no known side effects.

5. Is "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" suitable for both men and women?

Yes, "For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL" is suitable for both men and women. Its gentle formula is designed to work for all skin types and hair textures, making it a versatile option for everyone.

Back