What is the best textbook for learning C++?

In summary, Although I like Bjarne Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++, I think it would be a better idea to start with C first and learn it solidly before moving on to C++. I also think that a good textbook to learn from is "Problem Solving with C++," by Walter Savitch.
zachdr1
I've taken a class in C++ and we used Bjarne Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++. We only got to the point to where we were just starting to learn about pointers, so I still consider myself a beginner. C++ is my first programming language.

I really like how Bjarne covers a lot of stuff in this book, I just hate how he'll randomly throw functions in that I don't know of without explaining them. It makes it hard to follow along.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although it is not really required to learn C first and then C++, I agree with phinds. As a beginner, learn first a good deal of C (pointers, advanced data structures and dynamic memory allocation included) and then in learning C++, you'll look at it in a more experienced way and see really where its great power lies.

As for textbooks, I recommend Deitel's books. The reason is that I studied myself C, C++, Java and Internet and The WWW How to Program, although we had different textbooks for the courses back then and I found them of great help. These books are even more improved in their present editions. They are big, so you need to be patient and serious in reading them, but in my opinion it pays well back. Also for simple to intermediate exercises as a beginner, I used Schaum's Outlines Series Programming with C and Programming with C++. Of course, there are lots of other good textbooks you can find.

Dr Transport said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0134400240/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I like gaddis, used the 6th ed a few yers ago...
I was a reviewer for Tony Gaddis's first edition. My name is still listed amongst all those who reviewed previous editions.

I'll be teaching a first course in C++ at a local CC next quarter (spring), and the textbook to be used is "Problem Solving with C++," by Walter Savitch. One of the advantages is that it's relatively inexpensive (as these books go). Stephen Prata also has a couple of books, "C Primer Plus" and "C++ Primer Plus." These are inexpensive, but they have too many code examples, IMO. I know that students like and appreciate code examples, but if one example is only slightly different from another, one of them could probably be removed, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes QuantumQuest
Mark44 said:
I was a reviewer for Tony Gaddis's first edition. My name is still listed amongst all those who reviewed previous editions.

I'll be teaching a first course in C++ at a local CC next quarter (spring), and the textbook to be used is "Problem Solving with C++," by Walter Savitch. One of the advantages is that it's relatively inexpensive (as these books go). Stephen Prata also has a couple of books, "C Primer Plus" and "C++ Primer Plus." These are inexpensive, but they have too many code examples, IMO. I know that students like and appreciate code examples, but if one example is only slightly different from another, one of them could probably be removed, I think.

I also have Savitch's book, good, but I like Gaddis's better. Since I used Gaddis in a course I was taking, I know where to find the info I need faster than Savitch. Either is a good text to learn from.

Related to What is the best textbook for learning C++?

1. What are the key features to look for in a C++ textbook?

When looking for a C++ textbook, it is important to consider the level of detail and explanation provided, as well as the organization and structure of the material. Additionally, the inclusion of practice exercises and projects can greatly enhance the learning experience.

2. What are some popular C++ textbooks recommended by experts?

Some popular C++ textbooks recommended by experts include "C++ Primer" by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, and Barbara E. Moo, "Effective Modern C++" by Scott Meyers, and "C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design" by D.S. Malik.

3. Is it better to learn C++ from a physical textbook or an online resource?

The best way to learn C++ may vary for different individuals, as some may prefer the convenience of online resources while others may benefit from the structure and physical presence of a textbook. It is recommended to try out both methods and see which works best for you.

4. Are there any free C++ textbooks available online?

Yes, there are several free C++ textbooks available online, such as "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel and "C++ Annotations" by Frank Brokken and Karel Kubat. However, it is important to note that these resources may not cover all aspects of C++ and may not be regularly updated.

5. How can I choose the best C++ textbook for my specific needs?

To choose the best C++ textbook for your needs, consider your current level of knowledge and experience with programming, your learning style, and your specific goals for learning C++. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare different textbooks before making a decision.