What is the best topology for adding surge protection to Ethernet PHY?

In summary, putting the primary transient protection at the network input before the transformer should be good enough.
johnkelton
Hi, Guys I have a B78476A8135A003 Magnetic Module from EPCOS and I want to add a surge protector either on the TJ45 connector side or the Ethernet PHY side. I can't decide which way is more beneficial. Here is the topology:

Ethernet PHY : B78476A8135A003 : Surge Protector (SLVU2.8-4) : RJ45
OR
Ethernet PHY : Surge Protector (SLVU2.8-4) : B78476A8135A003 : RJ45

Also, the datasheet of B78476A8135A003 doesn't talk about its surge or ESD specs. How can I determine those specs?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
johnkelton said:
Hi, Guys I have a B78476A8135A003 Magnetic Module from EPCOS and I want to add a surge protector either on the TJ45 connector side or the Ethernet PHY side. I can't decide which way is more beneficial. Here is the topology:

OR
Ethernet PHY : Surge Protector (SLVU2.8-4) : B78476A8135A003 : RJ45

Also, the datasheet of B78476A8135A003 doesn't talk about its surge or ESD specs. How can I determine those specs?

Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Does the Surge Protector not come with some application note?

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right it did come with the application note. However, the application note is actually the options mentioned above. It does not go into the benefits of either topology over another. I am mainly interested because let's suppose a surge happens, then Magnetic module (1:1 ratio transformer for Tx and Rx) in theory should help diminish the effects of the surge because its composed of couple of inductors. If I add a surge protector component the following way:

then the surge protector components needs to have higher spec which means >$ and >size.
However if the other topology is used then I can lower the spec of the surge protector which will allow me to use small package size (very important for my pcb as I have very little space).

Your thoughts!

johnkelton said:
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right it did come with the application note. However, the application note is actually the options mentioned above. It does not go into the benefits of either topology over another. I am mainly interested because let's suppose a surge happens, then Magnetic module (1:1 ratio transformer for Tx and Rx) in theory should help diminish the effects of the surge because its composed of couple of inductors. If I add a surge protector component the following way:

then the surge protector components needs to have higher spec which means >$ and >size.
However if the other topology is used then I can lower the spec of the surge protector which will allow me to use small package size (very important for my pcb as I have very little space).

Your thoughts!

Can you give a link to the application note?

I don't work with Ethernet PHYs much, but I do work with other types of communication networks. I usually put the primary transient protection at the network input (your RJ45) before the transformer. Then I put secondary transient protection after the transformer before the transceiver silicon (usually just clamp diodes to the rails). The primary protection shunts most of the transient energy to Earth ground, so only a little is left to couple through the transformer.

I would recommend adding the surge protector on the Ethernet PHY side. This will provide protection for the entire PHY and any devices that are connected to it, rather than just the RJ45 connector. Additionally, placing the surge protector closer to the source of the surge (the Ethernet PHY) can help prevent any damage from occurring.

To determine the surge and ESD specs for the B78476A8135A003, you can contact the manufacturer or consult with a professional in the field. They will have access to the necessary testing equipment and expertise to determine the specs for this specific component. It is important to ensure that the surge protector you choose has suitable specs to protect the Ethernet PHY from potential surges.

1. What are magnetics modules for LAN?

Magnetics modules for LAN are components used in Local Area Networks (LANs) to control the flow of data between devices. They are typically small electronic devices that are attached to LAN cables and act as a buffer between the network and the connected devices, allowing for reliable and efficient data transfer.

2. How do magnetics modules for LAN work?

Magnetics modules for LAN work by using transformers to isolate and protect the network from potentially damaging signals. They also use inductors to filter out noise and ensure the integrity of the data being transmitted.

3. What are the benefits of using magnetics modules for LAN?

There are several benefits to using magnetics modules for LAN, including: improved data transfer speeds, increased network reliability, and protection against electrical interference. They also help to extend the lifespan of network equipment by reducing wear and tear on the components.

4. Are all magnetics modules for LAN the same?

No, not all magnetics modules for LAN are the same. They can vary in terms of size, shape, and specifications, such as data transfer rates and voltage levels. It is important to choose a magnetics module that is compatible with your specific network needs.

5. How do I choose the right magnetics module for my LAN?

To choose the right magnetics module for your LAN, consider your network's requirements, such as data transfer speed, voltage levels, and size restrictions. Additionally, make sure to choose a reputable brand and consult with a professional if needed to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.