What is the best way to minimize damage in a car crash?

In summary, if you hit a car head on, you will most likely suffer the same damage as if you hit a brick wall. You will also suffer the same amount of impulse if you hit the wall or the other car. However, if you hit the wall, you will stop immediately, whereas if you hit the other car, the impulse will increase and the damage might be greater.
Darquis

Homework Statement

You're in a car, and you see a car coming at you in the opposite direction. Assume that both cars are identical in all matters including velocity and mass (neither given). To your left and right are a brick wall, you will hit this head on if you swerve. Is it better to swerve, do nothing, accelerate or hit the brakes?

Homework Equations

J=Ft (Impulse)
Conservation of momentum
Kinetic energy (maybe/)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the longer I am in contact with what I hit while still in motion, the longer it takes to transmit the resulting force back to me/my vehicle.

If I hit the wall, best case scenario is I stop right there, because the force is going to act quickly, and whatever momentum I have is going to be balanced by the impulse. If I go backwards, that impulse increases (as I now have a negative momentum, assuming my direction of travel to be the positive), which increases the force and possibly decreases the time.

Conservation of momentum leads me to believe if I crash head on into that other car, which will have the same momentum as me, it will be very similar to hitting that brick wall, assuming our cars don't rebound.

I've been using 20 m/s as velocity and 1000 kg for the car's mass, as both seemed reasonable as far as the problem went, but really they can be anything. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the two keys here are momentum and impulse. If you are traveling slower then you will have less momentum. Force is related to momentum by F = dp/dt (change in momentum over change in time), so by lowering your momentum you are also lowering your force and impulse. You obviously can't change your mass, so you want to change the other part of momentum.

Items of discretion come from Newton's 3rd law, and how much deceleration both cars can do. If the other car does not decelerate then you will not want to take your chances hitting it (why?). Think about a real life scenario, would you rather hit something that is stationary, or something that is coming towards you at 30m/s?

So there'd be double the force acting on me, if we both kept our velocity the same, right? Which means it'd be worse in terms of force on my car if I tried speeding up (although by conservation of momentum, I'd be keeping my direction at least..but suffer a greater overall loss in momentum/velocity).

That makes sense enough to me, thanks. I'd also like to back up my answer with some numbers..if I use the equation J=Ft, what's a typical t for a collision? 1 second? .1 second? less?

Right. Given that the other car does not apply the breaks you are better off running into the wall. The best thing to do would be apply the breaks and hit the wall. In real life, you would probably want to hit him because he would apply the breaks too, and his car will have more give than the wall.

Cars these days are specially manufactured so that they have very long impulse times, with the idea of total the car and not the person. I'm not so sure, but I think that a half a second to a second might reasonable.

The factor that determines the damage sustained is the magnitude of the deceleration - impulse takes both the force and time interval into consideration. One can obtain the same impulse by "distributing" the force over a longer time, that is the function of air cushions. One need to minimize the amount of sustained g's in an accident. Running into a (sturdy) brick wall brings you to an immediate stop - very large g's are involved. Colliding into another car effectively doubles the length of the crumple section of a single car. That is it is decelarated over a longer length.

Last edited:

1. What is the physics behind a car crash?

The physics behind a car crash is primarily due to Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In a car crash, the external force is typically the impact with another object, such as another car or a stationary object. The second law states that the force exerted on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In a car crash, the acceleration is caused by the sudden deceleration of the car upon impact. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted on the car during a crash will also be exerted back on the passengers inside the car.

2. How does the speed of the car affect the force of impact in a crash?

The speed of the car has a direct impact on the force of impact in a crash. According to Newton's second law, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that the faster the car is traveling, the greater the force of impact will be. This is why it is important to follow speed limits and drive at a safe speed to reduce the force of impact in a car crash.

3. What role do seatbelts play in a car crash?

Seatbelts are an essential safety feature in a car crash. They help to reduce the force of impact by spreading out the force over a larger area of the body, rather than concentrating it on one specific area. This helps to prevent serious injuries and can save lives. Seatbelts also help to keep passengers from being thrown from the car, which can be extremely dangerous.

4. How do airbags work in a car crash?

Airbags are designed to work in conjunction with seatbelts to provide additional protection in a car crash. When a car experiences a sudden deceleration, a sensor triggers the airbag to rapidly inflate with gas. The airbag then deflates slowly to cushion the impact of the passenger's body. This helps to reduce the force of impact on the body and can prevent serious injuries.

5. Can the design of a car affect the outcome of a crash?

Yes, the design of a car can greatly affect the outcome of a crash. Cars with crumple zones, which are designed to absorb and distribute the force of impact, can help to reduce the force on the passengers inside. Additionally, features such as reinforced frames and side impact airbags can also help to protect passengers in a crash. It is important to consider the safety features of a car when purchasing a vehicle to ensure the best possible outcome in the event of a crash.