What is the bulk plasmon peak?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bulk plasmon peak and its significance in the study of extraordinary optical transmission. Bulk plasmon refers to the collective oscillations of free electrons in metals that occur in the bulk 3D electron gas. The behavior of metals due to plasmons is what makes them highly reflective or transparent in certain wavelengths. The bulk plasmon peak is typically in the UV range and is an important aspect in the research being discussed.
macabre
upload_2018-12-22_0-52-28.png

When I read “Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays”, I saw this figure but I don't get the bulk plasmon peak at 326 nm. What is the mean of bulk plasmon peak?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-22_0-52-28.png
    upload_2018-12-22_0-52-28.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,189
Physics news on Phys.org
macabre said:
View attachment 236171
When I read “Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays”, I saw this figure but I don't get the bulk plasmon peak at 326 nm. What is the mean of bulk plasmon peak?

A plasmon is a collective oscillation of free electrons, occurring in metals and metal-like materials. There are different types of plasmons. Bulk plasmons are collective oscillations of the "bulk" 3D electron gas...that is, the electrons in the material that do not "sense" the surface. Then there are surface plasmons which exist only at the interfaces of a material (think waves on the surface of a pool).

The plasmonic behavior of metals is what makes them highly reflective below the plasma frequency (think visible light, IR, and above). Above the plasma frequency (which is effectively UV for most materials), metals are transparent.

Indeed, in the case above, the bulk plasmon wavelength is in the UV, as expected.

[BTW, I was born to answer this. See username.]

Likes macabre
Thanks a lot.

What is the bulk plasmon peak?

The bulk plasmon peak is a phenomenon observed in plasmonic materials, where the collective oscillation of free electrons in the material is excited by an external electromagnetic field. This results in a sharp absorption peak in the material's optical spectrum.

How is the bulk plasmon peak different from other plasmon peaks?

The bulk plasmon peak is different from other plasmon peaks, such as surface plasmon peaks, because it is a collective excitation of free electrons throughout the bulk of the material, rather than just at the surface.

What factors affect the position and intensity of the bulk plasmon peak?

The position and intensity of the bulk plasmon peak are affected by several factors, including the material's composition, size, shape, and dielectric environment. Additionally, the incident light's wavelength and polarization also play a role.

What applications does the bulk plasmon peak have?

The bulk plasmon peak has various applications in nanophotonics, including sensing, imaging, and energy conversion. It is also used in plasmonic devices, such as solar cells, LEDs, and biosensors.

How is the bulk plasmon peak studied and characterized?

The bulk plasmon peak can be studied and characterized through various techniques, such as UV-visible spectroscopy, electron energy loss spectroscopy, and scanning electron microscopy. These techniques allow for the measurement of the peak's position, intensity, and width, providing insight into the material's properties.